Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Heatsink And Fan For Videocard

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 megalo

megalo

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 04:12 PM

I recently bought an original, unused x850 xt pe fan which i want to install on an x800 pro. After comparing pictures of the 2 videocards, I believe that the fan should be compatible with my x800 pro. But now, without any instruction manual, I don't know how to install the fan. Will I need a thermal compound? If so i have some arctic cooling which i use on my cpu. Other than that should it be pretty straight-forward: screw the screws in the right spots and such? Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sprite_Feedback

Sprite_Feedback

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:42 PM

Any particular reason you are doing this, if the card is still in warranty send it back as this proceedure will invalidate it. It should be pretty straightforward and yes you do need to use thermal compound. Sometimes the fan can sometimes be glued on but i think this is much less likely these days.

g

#3 megalo

megalo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 07:02 PM

To answer your first question, yes there is. If you want to understand what i'm trying to do visit these two pages:

Exact same video card from newegg

Bios soft mod for my video card at techpowerup.com

If you understood the pages than that means you know that i want to do a bios flash on the video card to unlock 4 pipes. This must be possible because I do have the vivo card and the box has a bunch of "cover-up" stickers that when peeled away reveal 16 pipelines instead of 12. So what i would be flashing to is the x800 xt pe bios and guess what fan and heatsink is on the x800 xt pe and the x850 xt pe, the one i just bought off of ebay.

To answer your second question, I have not found a single document that came with my videocard stating a warrenty. So I would assume that I don't have a warrenty on my videocard.

#4 Sprite_Feedback

Sprite_Feedback

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 04 February 2006 - 09:21 PM

To answer your first question, yes there is. If you want to understand what i'm trying to do visit these two pages:

Exact same video card from newegg

Bios soft mod for my video card at techpowerup.com

If you understood the pages than that means you know that i want to do a bios flash on the video card to unlock 4 pipes. This must be possible because I do have the vivo card and the box has a bunch of "cover-up" stickers that when peeled away reveal 16 pipelines instead of 12. So what i would be flashing to is the x800 xt pe bios and guess what fan and heatsink is on the x800 xt pe and the x850 xt pe, the one i just bought off of ebay.

To answer your second question, I have not found a single document that came with my videocard stating a warrenty. So I would assume that I don't have a warrenty on my videocard.

Never bothered with any of those soft mods never thought they were worth the hassel but each to their own. Good luck with it. Is there really such a big difference between the fan that is already on the card and the new one? You could try the mod with out changing the card and only try and change the fan if you feel it is really getting hot enough to need it. That way if you destroy the card you dont have to worry about haveing spent all that time swapping the fan. :thumbsup:

You have a warrenty on almost everything you buy or if not you have consumer rights if it goes wrong, even if sometimes it can be difficult to exercise them.

g

#5 megalo

megalo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 09:15 PM

Well, I installed the new HSF with some arctic silver 5 and now I can raise the speeds of both the clock and memmory ten more to 590/550 from their previous overclock with the other HSF but the factory speeds of this thing are only at 475/450. WOW, this is even beyond the speeds of the x800 XT PE 560/520. iI just wanted to fill you guys in on whats happened. Thanks a lot for the help with all of my problems.

BTW Newegg doesn't carry my x800 pro anymore, I think they only carry a few versions of it now, maybe 2 or 3. And I am still planning on performing the mod if I can figure out how to back up my original bios and get my floppy drive working again.

#6 megalo

megalo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 01:20 PM

Well, i just got my floppy drive working so now all i have to figure out is how to back up my video card's BIOS? Any help?

#7 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 05:44 PM

I found this article......
http://www.365lucky.com/computers/internet/article_148.php
.....which tells you how to Flash your ATI video card BIOS. It also includes how to back it up, but I can't garauntee the content... ;>
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users