Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XFinity ConstantGuard - Do I need it?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chemed

chemed

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:37 PM

I keep getting messages from comcast saying that "I may have a bot installed on one or more of my computers" and the link they send me wants me to install something called "Constant Guard". I have Symantec and Malwarebytes, made sure both were updated, performed full scan with both, nothing detected.
So, my question: Is Constant Guard something I should DL and install? I checked my system and processes and nothing is running in the background that shouldn't be there @ system idle. If nothing is detected by my current malyware/spyware combo, how do I get these annoying messages from Comcast to go away?

thanks for advice

-chemed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:04 PM

Constant Guard - Your Online Security Protection from XFINITY.

As long as you have an antivirus program installed on your computer, you don't need it.

As far as the messages go, what kind of messages are they?

Pop-ups? Emails?

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#3 chemed

chemed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:52 PM

I was getting a pop up message for awhile and today I got an email. I typically pride myself on keeping my computers clean and was pretty surprised to be getting these messages. I have been poking around the net and everyone that installs constant guard seems to agree that it's basically bloatware. I would just like the messages, and now emails, to stop.

#4 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:01 PM

Well it doesn't seem like you're infected, just the victim of some annoying advertising.

The emails you can probably get rid of by asking for Comcast to remove you from their emailing list, but I'm surprised to hear you're getting pop-ups.

Are you just sitting on your desktop and windows will randomly popup advertising it?

Essentially, when are you getting these messages?

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#5 chemed

chemed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:11 PM

It's a popup that usually happens right at browser startup. It doesn't happen all of the time and sometimes it happens after I've been browsing for awhile. It's intermittent but has been becoming more frequent.

#6 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:24 AM

Do you have a pop-up blocker turned in your web browser?

What web browser do you use?

#7 chemed

chemed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:22 PM

I use chrome and firefox. It happens the most while using firefox. I updated symantec yesterday and ran a full scan and it did find some "maljava" and cleaned/deleted it. Hopefully this will solve this issue. I haven't had anymore warnings since then. It has only been a day though.

#8 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:15 PM

If it happens again, either post here again or start a new thread depending on how much time has passed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users