Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatting Hardrive. What Is Best Way To Save Data.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 daisybbgun

daisybbgun

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:44 PM

I apparently picked up some type of malware that hijacked IE and wont let windows open. I can open in safe mode but the 3.5 drive says need to see system administrator. I have the disk that came with the HP pavilion so I assume I can reformat and reinstall. The system has never been backed up and I would like to save my files,, bookmarks, etc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 04:29 PM

I usually remove the disk; install it in other PC and backup what's necessary; return it to it's PC; delete partitions and re-install everything from scratch (I sometimes copy the files through the network). If you have no access to another PC, it's imperative to gain control over that floppy: try to log in as administrator (log out and when required, type Administrator as user name).

Other than that, perhaps you could install a CD-burner or a Zip drive, although, in safe mode, most probably won't work.

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 05:41 PM

Depending on the size of the files your trying to save cd's or dvd's would be a good choice for large sizes. however there is always the option of a tape drive or other backup drive system.

Posted Image

#4 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 04 February 2006 - 02:21 AM

Another option is to use external harddisk.
The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 04:35 PM

Whenever I can, I use a USB thumb drive to get the files. If the system won't start, I use The Ultimate Boot CD to get things started, but this is going to require a system that can handle it. If the system's too old, it's unlikely to work, and UBCD won't work on all machines. You have to have enough memory to run a light version of Linux. It does work with my Sandisk Cruzer thumb drive.

If you put the hard drive into another system to get files from it, remember to set it up as a slave using the jumpers on the drive.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 01:11 AM

I may be wrong but is the Ultimate Book Disk based on BartPE? If it is it will not work on 9x based Windows operating systems.
Another option is to run down to your local used computer store and pick up a 2-4gb used HD ( About $15) and slave it. Drag'n drop you files into the second HD.
If you have room to partition you HD you could do the same by making a second partition on the primary hard drive. This can be done with Digtal Dolly (Hard drive utility). First create a folder to download DD to. Unzip it in that folder after it downloads. Burn an .iso image to CD. Boot with the CD. Resize C:\ partition smaller. Create and FORMAT the unallocated space to D:\ drive. Now you can move the information to the new partition.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:41 AM

UBCD boots into system memory, bypassing the operating system. It loads tools to do all sorts of things. I just tried it on an ME system with 128MB RAM and it worked fine.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:04 PM

Excellent. Go to know. I have been using BartPE for XP. I need to download UBCD. Thanks for the tip.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users