Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need components for 11yr old son's first gaming rig!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tarrnation

Tarrnation

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:03 PM

I am building my 11yr old son his first gaming rig for Christmas this year. I've already got a Q6600 CPU and just about everything else I need except for the video card and motherboard.

I'm looking to spend less than $50 on the motherboard. Would prefer a board with SLI/Crossfire support for possible future upgrade but any board that can handle a decent overclock on the Q6600 will do (gonna try and bring it to 3.6 GHz if possible).

As for the video card, my budget for that is $100 and I would like anything on this list from the "GeForce GTX 460' and up:
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

He wants to play some of the newer games with me so it needs to be a half-way decent setup but unfortunately, Santa is having a hard time keeping up with his bills this year so it also needs to be cheap.

Please let me know if you are able to sell me these components or if you know where I can get a good deal on them thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:17 PM

What..."newer games", please?

Louis

#3 Tarrnation

Tarrnation
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:21 PM

But there's so many to mention! lol. Well, I mainly play FPS games like the Call of Duty, Battlefield and Left for Dead franchises which I let him play from time to time (with supervision, of course). My wife and I also play LOTRO together which is a pretty graphics intensive MMO and he wants to get involved with that. I also have Borderlands which I haven't really gotten into yet as I think it would be more fun to play co-op. There are also a few betas that I am involved with such as Natural Selection 2 and Tribes Ascend that he would like to play as well. Finally, there are some other games that I am thinking about buying such as Crysis 2 and Skyrim. I would need to test those out first before I decide whether they are appropriate him or not. Mind you, he is very mature for his age so I do let him play games with blood/gore/violence in them but I try to steer away from the ones with sexual content as I think he is still too young to be exposed to that kind of stuff.

Edited by Tarrnation, 08 December 2011 - 04:29 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:15 PM

The requirements, etc. for a given game...vary.

Knowing the games will help receive constructive comments for running those games.

Louis

#5 Tarrnation

Tarrnation
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:23 PM

Ahh, I see your point. I pretty much already know what I want to put in his system though - hence the specific details regarding the type of video card and motherboard that I am looking for. :wink:

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:56 PM

A good LGA 775 motherboard can be somewhat difficult to find due to age, but not impossible. Most of what's out there are micro-ATX boards which aren't that great for gaming due to thermal issues, and few support Crossfire or SLI. You also realize that, on your link, that is a synthetic benchmark which doesn't always equal real world performance? The GTX 460 is over $100 by quite a bit, so your budget is moot. For the graphics card, I would get either the HIS H685FN1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB or, if you have the extra cash, the PowerColor AX6870 1GBD5-2DH Radeon HD 6870 1GB.

I have Skyrim and a Radeon 5850, which is roughly around the speed of those GPU's, I have the game maxed out and it runs quite well. Your kid should be fine with Skyrim if sexuality is what you're concerned about, there is none, though you can get married, none of the, ahem, benefits, come with it. Your spouse just carts around your crap, runs a store when you don't need them and fights if you want them to. Think about it, in just a few years, your kid will start asking about such things, then he'll begin driving, then asking for the curfew to be extended... They grow up so fast!

3939.png

#7 Tarrnation

Tarrnation
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:45 PM

Ha! Tell me about it...

I was actually able to find someone who had a MSI P7N Diamond and a Radeon 5850 and they threw in a dual core CPU (good to have a backup in case something goes wrong with the Q6600) and an aftermarket cooler all for $160 so I will now be able to complete this build and I only went $10 over budget.

Can't wait to see the look on his face when he opens up that box on Christmas... I'll be sure to save it for last. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users