Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Winxp Disk

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 oldcorpsgunny

oldcorpsgunny

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:42 PM

:thumbsup: My wife ordered a Dell laptop from QVC; when it arrived it had a lot of pre-installed applications and some CDs with the usual give-aways. Unfortunately it did not include an installation disk for Windows XP Home. While the OS was pre-installed, I can't help but wonder what to do if ever I need to reinstall the OS; I had to do that on my desktop when the registry got corrupted. The online manual from Dell just says use System Restore (which is fine if System Restore is accessible). I find it inconceiveable that a manufacturer would not include a backup disk of the OS for emergencies. :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 04:04 PM

One more thing they can charge you for when you need it. I would call Dell and order a set of disk. It's better to have them and never need them, than need them and not have them.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 cjsears

cjsears

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 04:12 PM

I have seen a few Dell machines that come with a recovery partition....usually hidden. It will often contain a copy of windows and all of the necessary drivers for the stock hardware in the box. They may be suggesting you use system restore if they have integrated the access to this hidden partition with the system restore feature. if so, you may get a warning about suspicious scripts from your antivirus when you try to use it. I would still order the discs....they don't have an answer when you ask what to do if the drive fails and you can't recover your "emergency" copy of windows from the partition.

#4 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 04:16 PM

Right. If you press F8 at boot, besides the usual Windows options, you'll see a recovery option. They don't include restore disks to costs low.

#5 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 06:37 PM

just another scam by microsoft and computer companies to steal your money... :thumbsup:

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 06:49 PM

Free market. If you like Windows applications but don't want Windows. Learn Linux and use WINE.

http://www.winehq.com/

Edit: Misspelled words. ~acklan~

Edited by acklan, 05 February 2006 - 12:34 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 bar5

bar5

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:26 PM

:thumbsup: My wife ordered a Dell laptop from QVC; when it arrived it had a lot of pre-installed applications and some CDs with the usual give-aways. Unfortunately it did not include an installation disk for Windows XP Home. While the OS was pre-installed, I can't help but wonder what to do if ever I need to reinstall the OS; I had to do that on my desktop when the registry got corrupted. The online manual from Dell just says use System Restore (which is fine if System Restore is accessible). I find it inconceiveable that a manufacturer would not include a backup disk of the OS for emergencies. :flowers:

Here is a document from Dell on how to create an OS CD:

Dell OS CD

Hope this is of some help to you.

Barb :trumpet:

#8 oldcorpsgunny

oldcorpsgunny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 06:32 AM

:thumbsup: Thanks to all who have offered the good advice. Barb, I will definitely check out the Dell document (I assume it will be on a Dell support site).

#9 bar5

bar5

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 08:55 AM

:thumbsup: Thanks to all who have offered the good advice. Barb, I will definitely check out the Dell document (I assume it will be on a Dell support site).

Just click on the link I gave you and you will have it. Yes the document is on the Dell support site.

Barb :flowers:

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:16 PM

just another scam by microsoft and computer companies to steal your money... :thumbsup:

And exactly what does Microsoft have to do with Dell not giving you an appropriate system disk?

Personally, I would not buy a computer that didn't come with a full operating system disk, and that's why I build my own, but most users are not computer literate enough to know that - until problems arise.

If you hate Microsoft, which it is obvious that you do, why not write your own operating system or use Linux, and, of course, build your own computer instead of buying one already assembled?

Personally I am grateful to Microsoft for enabling the proliferation and advancement of computer technology enabled because of the availability of Windows and truthfully do not understand the hatred which seems to be driven by jealousy some seem to have.

#11 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 02:03 AM

Hi there,

I recently purchased a dell as well, and you may or may have not noticed a graphic in the shape of a CD like the one below. This, or something very familiar to it is included with all the other paper that comes with a new Dell, you can order the discs for $10 or as the image suggests, use the PC Restore software to return it to it's original state.

Posted Image

Here is also a useful link that talks about this subject:

CNet Consumer Alert October 2005

Hope this sheds some light,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users