Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Residual left by Security 2012

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zorthargthedestroyer

zorthargthedestroyer

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:42 AM

Another day, another virus, my misanthropy is yet again reaffirmed, and now it's gone (not my misanthropy, the virus is gone). But it left something behind, or I left something behind in the act of killing it. Whenever I start firefox (or some other executable program - I uninstalled and reinstalled firefox before discovering it was more general than just firefox), I get a popup message titled "jqsnotify.exe Entry Point Not Found" with message below "The procedure entry point RtlIpv4AddressToStringExA could not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll". I'd really like to get rid of that.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zorthargthedestroyer

zorthargthedestroyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:50 AM

Oh wait, looking through my hijackthis output, I see jqs means it's java. I have jqs this and jqs that and I've seen it before so I know it's nothing new. So, do you think I should just uninstall and reinstall java then? Or is it more than that?

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:27 PM

If your version of Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system.
•Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Version 7u1.
•Look for "JDK 7u1 (JDK or JRE).
•Click the "Download JRE" button at the right.
•Read the License Agreement, and then check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
---Select "Windows x86 Offline" and click on jre-7-windows-i586.exe
•Save it to your desktop
•Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
•Uninstall all older versions of Java (any item with Java Runtime Environment, JRE or J2SE in the name).Via Add / Remove in Comtrol Panel
Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
•Install the newest version by double clicking (run as Administrator for Windows Vista/Seven) the downloaded file

#4 zorthargthedestroyer

zorthargthedestroyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:11 PM

Damnit, my other computer got it. It acted differently this time though. After running FixNCR.reg, this time it said the file path for malwarebytes antimalware was invalid, whereas last time it worked right away, so I tried rkill. To be precise, I ran rkill.com, and that didn't work, and then I ran rkill.exe, which actually then said it killed rkill.com as the only viral process in the list. And then malwarebytes worked. It ran through, and said it had to reboot the computer, which I did.

And now, the computer acts as if the mouse and keyboard are not plugged in.

No response. I tried unplugging them and replugging them and using a different keyboard. Nothing. Windows boots up and moving the mouse doesn't move the pointer and typing keys does nothing, but pressing the power button (and not holding it for 5 seconds) makes it shut down normally with its usual shutdown noise.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:40 PM

Hi zorthargthedestroyer -
Can you try to start the problem computer in Safe mode with Networking ??
If you can, do the mouse and k/board work ??

Thank You -

#6 zorthargthedestroyer

zorthargthedestroyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:01 PM

Hello Noknojon.

Yes I can start it in safe mode with networking. No it does not respond. This time I can't even see the regular windows screen because it is stuck on the page where "administrator" and "owner" (what I cleverly called the computer's owner) is on the screen and I would click one or the other to run windows.

The keyboard works in as much as that before windows starts up, I can use the arrow keys to move the selected choice up and down as to whether I want to start normally, or in safe mode, or whatever, and press enter. Some time after that in the process of running windows it apparently becomes nonresponsive to keyboard and mouse.

Am I safe in assuming that this is NOT a typical effect of the virus?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users