Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Privacy protection AKA privacy.exe

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MikeRuth

MikeRuth

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:42 AM

Good morning all,

I'm a tech and have been seeing this privacy.exe file and related damage a lot in recent weeks.

I don't have any trouble cleaning up the systems, but what I'm looking for is advice and or a product that can stop these in the first place.

I have seen just about every program imaginable installed for protecting the PC and yet these buggers still get on to the systems.

Any ideas will be most welcome.

Mike R

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:39 PM

Hello MikeRuth

There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no best anti-virus.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Just because one anti-virus detected threats that another missed, does not mean its more effective. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear and it takes time for them to be reported, samples collected, analyzed, and tested by anti-vendors. Security vendors use different scanning engines and different detection methods such as heuristic analysis or behavioral analysis which can account for discrepancies in scanning outcomes. Depending on how often the anti-virus database is updated can also account for differences in threat detections.

With that said, there are some suggestions and recommended security tools to supplement your antivirus provided in this topic.

If you are repairing computers for customers, there is not much you can do if they do not take the time to educate themselves in order to prevent malware infection. I would ask them to read How Malware Spreads - How did I get infected which explains the most common ways malware is contracted and spread.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users