Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox 1.5.0.1 Patch Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 oldcorpsgunny

oldcorpsgunny

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:01 PM

:thumbsup: On 2Feb06 while Web browsing a popup stated there was a new patch for Firefox labeled 1.5.0.1 that apparently addressed some security issues. The patch had already been downloaded and I was offered the option if installing the patch immediately or having it installed automatically when Firefox was restarted. When I installed the patch I could no longer access the Web with Firefox so I used System Restore to roll back my computer settings to 31Jan. On 3Feb06 the same thing happened; I tried to remove Firefox (now labelled "Firefox 1.5.0.1) but got a message stating it was still running and could not be uninstalled; Icalled up Task Manager and fouind four applications labelled Firefox, none of which were apparently running, and clicked the "End Process" button; I tried to remove Firefox again and received the message that the program was still running. At this point I used System Restore to roll the computer settings back to 31Jan. After the System Restore I was able to remove Firefox.

Does anyone know if this is some kind of malware messing with Firefox? When I installed this utility a few weeks ago the site said Firefox 1.5 was the latest version, yet I have seen references to 1.6 and 1.7. I would really appreciate some help regarding this problem as I am now using Internet Explorer to browse and am not entirely comfortable.

I am running WinXP with the latest updates, Norton Internet Security, Ad-Aware, and SpyBot SD personal (freeware).

Edited by phawgg, 03 February 2006 - 03:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:26 PM

The latest stable release of Firefox is 1.5.0.1, released the first of February of this year; any releases above that number are most likely Beta versions, and should only be used for testing purposes.
I would suggest downloading this new version, uninstalling the version you currently have on your hard drive, and then installing 1.5.0.1. Naturally, your bookmarks and preferences will remain since they are maintained separately from the browser.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:27 PM

I'm presently dealing with Firefox issues.
Several instances of Firefox shutting down and not responding to
the start icon or direct opening of firefox.exe at C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox.

I too have updated upon notification, and have not sought updates beyond the present 1.5.0.1 as I'm fairly sure any with higher numbers represent the "nightly builds" typically being developed by open-source contributors, not actual "releases".

I have restored functionality to this, my 'daily browser', by a combination of clearing files within temp location folders and rebooting several times. I think you're observations of a tie-in to the updates is probably accurate in instances where it effects certain users.

I do not think it is malware in action.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#4 Motanu Danila

Motanu Danila

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 02:29 PM

I saw that this problem was reported yesterday; this is when I registered to BC, which I did partly prompted by a very similar problem, which started about a week or so ago.

I was playing some game (not online), but my broadband connection was open. During the game, my antivirus software (Norton) started its daily live update. When I closed the game, it was like a small atomic bomb had landed inside my laptop:
1) Mozilla Firefox, which I'd been using for months, would not start, giving me an error message each time I tried to start it;
2) Outlook express - which I'd been using for almost 4 years - would not retrieve messages from my work email account.
3) My machine took forever to shut down and/or restart.
4) Norton had become very sluggish, either freezing or often failing to start properly when I tried to open its main window;
5) Many applications would fail to respond; even worse, I could not shut them down in any way, not even from the Windows Task Manager.
6) Each time an application failed to respond, the prompt to send Microsoft an error report would a) take forever/fail, if I tried to; or :thumbsup: prevent the application from closing at all, if I chose not to.

Situation:
Prior to this, I'd been using Norton, Spybot SD and Stinger - all constantly updated and run for about 3 years. My machine was very fast, browsed without problems, and coped well with 6-7 simultaneous applications (nothing fancy though, just browsing and document processing - Word, Excel, Acrobat, etc)

My (I suspect novice) attempts to address the situation:
Suspecting that I'd caught some malware, I installed Spyguard, AVAST, SpyCatcher, All-in-one-Secretmaker, Ad-Aware SE and Spyblaster. Unistalled the first and last meanwhile; uninstalled and reinstalled SpyCatcher - it really slows the machine down, but finds stuff the others don't.
Spycatcher and Ad-Aware found some spyware and tracking cookies, respectively, which had been overlooked by Spybot (!). Avast detected one infected file, which it removed.

I tried reinstalling Firefox several times, including a couple of tries with the new version, 1.5.01; no success, the same error message appears. Outlook express has not recovered. It still takes a long time for the machine to restart/shut down.

I disabled the (completely useless) option to send Microsoft error reports; some applications still fail to respond much more often than 'before', but I now can close them Ok with WTM.

Overall, the situation is slightly better now: applications start almost as fast as b4, though Norton is still sluggish; browsing speed is back to normal, but IE takes 30-35 seconds to start (compared to 3 seconds b4).

I might be doing something wrong, or I might not utilise the anti-malware utilities to their full potential - for example, SpyCatcher tells me that it is "removing the threats in the background", but they're always there when I open the program.

I'd be very grateful for any advice; should I kiss my fast & nice machine from 10 days ago good bye? Is formatting the disks the only solution?

Many thanks for your help.

Motanu Danila

#5 oldcorpsgunny

oldcorpsgunny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 05 February 2006 - 02:10 PM

:thumbsup: Since I first posted this problem, I tried downloading Firefox 1.5.0.1 to my wife's Dell Inspiron laptop again with the same results:
browser does not connect with any internet pages, including the home page of the local ISP
could not uninstall Firefox because the uninstall utility said Firefox was still running (even though I had disabled Firefox programs
had to do a SysRestore to 31Jan and remove the previous version of Firefox

We are currently using IE on the Dell for web browsing.

Interestingly, I upgraded to Firefox on my Gateway desktop with no adverse effects whatsoever. The only difference between the two computers is that the laptop receives broadband via a Belkin G WiFi router and the desktop is connected by patch cable to the router. I really don't think the wireless is the problem, however, because I have had no problems with automatic updates from Microsoft, Norton, et al. BTW, I did disable Norton antivirus prior to the attempted installation, if that helps.

#6 Supermart57

Supermart57

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:42 AM

I had similar problems a few weeks ago with FF 1.5.0.0. including the message about FF running when it was not. After hunting around in the FF Knowledge Base I found that I had to create a new profile by using:

Start Run Firefox.exe -p (note the blank between exe and -p)

this opened a create profile dilogue box and after clicking Create everthing worked fine and has done ever since, including the automatic update to 1.5.0.1. I'm not saying this will work in your case but it might be worth trying.
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users