Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Security 2012

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 spot539

spot539

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:31 AM

How do I protect my computer from Vista Security 2012. This came out of nowhere and shut down my firewalls and made it impossible for me to access the internet to get some help. I ended up restoring my system from a prior date but I am afraid this will happen again. Any anwers?

Edited by hamluis, 08 December 2011 - 12:15 PM.
Moved from Vista to AV, Firewall, etc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:41 AM

To protect your system from any malware, you need to have a good Anti Virus App installed, active, and set to update definitions automatically. You also need to employ "smart computing" (don't click on questionable links, don't download anything unless you are certain you know what it is, don't click on any link or open any attachment in an email unless you are 100% certain you know what it is [regardless of who the sender is], etc.). You can also install SpywareBlaster and update the definitions weekly and you can scan with MalwareBytes on a regular basis. The fact that you use a 3rd party firewall should also offer added protection against hacking (but not malware).

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:11 PM

Along with Allan's excellent reply, here is some additional information for you: How did I get infected? With steps so it does not happen again! And Answers to common security questions: Prevention & Choosing an Anti-virus or Firewall

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:13 PM

And if anyone else uses the computer, let them read this topic and the links provided.

Educating others (family, friends) who may use your computer from time to time is just as important as educating yourself.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users