Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Continuous Hard Reset at random intervals

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Skasian

Skasian

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:23 AM

Hi Beepingcomputer,

I'm at my wits end and I'm hoping someone here knows an answer. I'm averagely tech savvy and have asked several friends in the IT industry yet no solution has been found. The situation has been this...

My computer will randomly reset itself and reboot from DOS and back to windows again. These intervals would range from 5 mins from startup to 3 hours or more so they are completely random. This has been happening for 1 year now (VERY ANNOYING). Recently the intervals have been getting shorter and shorter to the point where my computer will reset upon 2-5 min of start up after hitting windows guaranteed. I get no error messages or indications that it is about to happen.

Normally I'd jump on the OVERHEATING bandwagon but the strange thing is, my computer DOES NOT reset EVER if I am playing a graphics intensive Video Game (battlefield 3 to name one). It ONLY resets if I'm not really doing anything intensive such as word processing or browsing the web or watching a movie. All these simple tasks will cause my computer to reset after a random time period. Anything where my CPU/GPU churns into motion prevents these resets. This I cannot explain.

A problem which also happens (and I feel might be related to cause this) is that if I ever SHUTDOWN my computer, it will not boot (windows cannot load). And I have to system restore to get my computer to run again. So I have never hit the shutdown button in a long time.

Over the period of 2011 I have tried so many solutions to no avail and I was hoping someone would give me some new ideas on how I can approach this problem. Any ideas on how to diagnose the root of this problem? I can post everything I've tried but that would take forever...

Cheers, Skasian

P.S. I want to fix it myself, but I have no idea where to start/what else I can try.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:09 AM

When you say "reset" I assume you mean it reboots? Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users