Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installation/application Restrictions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mitt

Mitt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 02:04 PM

Is there an application (open source/free) that one can use to deny or restrict the installation of programs? Particular the P2P programs. I want to either require a password or deny p2p application from being installed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 04:00 PM

Set the target user with a Limited User account.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Mitt

Mitt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 04:46 PM

That doesn't stop some programs. I tried that and was still able to install Ares.

#4 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 05:28 PM

Are you sure? In my office I made limited accounts for all the newcomers (those who are older are more responsible, they've learned the hard way :thumbsup:) and Ares does install, but does not work.

The problem with limited accounts in my office is that some apps refuses to work if not launched with administrator privileges, and some others try to write in system folders.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 05:46 PM

It has stopped my daughter from installing Limewire and a couple of other p2p programs
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:10 PM

Try WINGUARDPRO. You may have to use the pay version to do what you want.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:16 PM

Try this freebie from Microsoft (it's for XP only): http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sharedaccess/default.mspx

But the best way is to check it for yourself - then withhold web access when they violate it. Repeat it several times and you shouldn't have to worry about it (as long as you keep checking)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 05 February 2006 - 04:00 PM

Is there an application (open source/free) that one can use to deny or restrict the installation of programs? Particular the P2P programs. I want to either require a password or deny p2p application from being installed.

Go to Set Program Access and Defaults. Though I think thats only in Win XP Pro.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users