Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buyer a Server

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 8100 Power

8100 Power

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:50 AM

I'm looking into building (or buying) my first server. I will be using it mostly for storage and a Database development machine. I found this server on NewEgg tonight:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859106096

I've looked at that one and the Dell Poweredge 310: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=bedt6dd&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&model_id=poweredge-t310&

Any suggestions, should I build my own? I'm looking to spend around $600-800, possibly more depending on what I'm getting.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:59 PM

What makes a server a server is the CPU and form factor. If you aren't going to be using functions of a server processor, a high-end desktop CPU would be enough. Same with the graphics card. Don't skimp on hard drive bays if you decide to build it yourself. Server motherboards often allow for tons of RAM, but most small-ish businesses can run a database off 16GB or so, some may warrant the 32GB amount an LGA 2011 model can provide.

3939.png

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:01 PM

Most servers do not come with an OS installed. The OS is a Add-On option.

Your budget is way low for a decent server IMO.

Typical real world use of a server is it just sits there and no programs are run on it.

Our servers here at work just sit there at the login screen serving files, at least that is what they would show if we turned on the monitors..

Server motherboards, Xeon processors and raid for the drives. And since they are older Windows server 2003.

One thing to avoid if they are going to be where you can hear them is a the thin 1U rackmounts. They sound like a jetliner when turned on then settle down to a loud roar. HP makes some nice servers too.

$2000 will get you a really nice low end server. complete with lots of memory and Raid 5.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users