Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive only Partially Recognized

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jon44

Jon44

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:07 PM

I have a Fujitsu Handy Drive that I was using to store iTunes music/ movies. After iTunes crashed while it was writing to the drive, the drive hasn't worked correctly. (I'm running Windows XP)

It immediately slows down my entire system when plugged in, and then is sporadically recognized in "My Computer." As soon as I try to click on it, it again slows down everything and may or may not proceed to next step.

Check Disk utility crashes when I try to run it on the drive, and Fujitsu Diagnostic program shows the drive as an option (without a serial number) but doesn't allow me to select it to run a scan.

Is there any hope?

Thanks,

Jon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:00 PM

There is a bigger chance that your drive is not usable after the symptoms shown. Only thing to check here is under disk management utility. Right-click My Computer - Manage - Storage - Can you see the drive from there?

Tekken

#3 Jon44

Jon44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:11 AM

Thanks for reply.

It does show up under Disk Management utility. It shows as status "Healthy" with 100% Free Space.

When I right-click, choose "Properties," it takes a while, but then dialog box comes up showing File Type as "RAW" and 0 used, and 0 available. Under "Tools," when I try "Error-Checking," it gives up after a few seconds...

Since it sort of shows up here, is there any way to restore it?

Thanks,

Jon

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:22 PM

If formatting the drive as an option is not available or solution in disk management, windows explorer or any 3rd party software, then there is nothing we could do about it.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users