Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 networking and the master browser

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 250gibson

250gibson

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:32 PM

I have a small office network consisting of:

Computer 1: Windows 7 Pro (Trend)
Computer 2: Windows 7 Pro (Trend) Shared printer
Computer 3: Windows 7 Pro (McAfee)
Computer 4: XP Pro (McAfee)

What is happening is that when computer 3 is acting as the master browser no other computers can see any of the computers in the workgroup. They can connect to the shares via \\COMPUTER NAME\SHARE, however they cannot see others. There is no problems with printer sharing ever.

When computer 1 or 3 are acting as the master browser, there is no problems seeing the other computers in the workgroup. Computer 4 never acts as the master browser, because as I understand, windows 7 trumps XP in this regard (nor do I want it to have master browser status as it is a laptop).

Also, this may be unrelated or not, but when Computer 1 is started up, all problems disappear. I assume it is the "overal" master browser and if computer 3 is acting as the master browser, computer 1 takes over and all others can see.

How do I fix this so all computers can see all others regardless of which one is acting as the master browser. I think this is related to how the McAfee firewall is set up on Computer 3. All of the computers are awake and asleep at various times of day.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:45 PM

Master browser designation...IME...is merely the first computer on the network to actually start/be booted. I have two systems and the first one to connect is deemed to be the master browser. If I boot the other system first, I get Event Viewer errors re the master browser...but that does not affect connectivity between the two systems at all. The following may be helpful:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc959896.aspx

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/how-to-xp-share-fix,review-215-7.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users