Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infinite logon loop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mark1978

mark1978

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:09 PM

Hi,

For my sins, I have a 3-year-old Acer Aspire 5315 laptop with Vista Home Basic.

I had a virus earlier this year, and getting rid of said virus seems to have had the result of slowly but steadily destablalising the whole system to the point at which I resorted to uninstalling Service Pack 2 as a troubleshooting step. Since doing this, I have been unable to get past the Windows login screen at all: I get the usual choice between the two user accounts on the computer, and whichever one I click on the screen will go blank for a few seconds (leaving only the mouse pointer), and it will then return to the login screen. Repeat ad infinitum.

Ideally I would like to get Vista up and running again as it was, including access to all my existing files and programs. However, as it's an inexpensive laptop, I don't have a Vista install DVD, and the Acer 'Restore' DVD I have only has the option to wipe the slate clean and restore the computer to its factory state. This option is far from ideal as, due to the unexpected nature of the issue, I don't have an up-to-date backup of my stuff.

I've tried the following things to fix the issue, all of which have had no effect:

- Starting in Safe Mode
- Last Known Good Configuration
- Various functions of the Vista Recovery Environment (booted from a separate CD): System Restore, Startup Repair, chkdsk, fixboot etc.

The thread I (fruitlessly) started on Microsoft Answers here gives details of what has happened when I've tried the various Command Prompt solutions from the Vista RE disc. There are two main issues with these:

(1) Attempting to run sfc /scannow throws back the message "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation". I have no real idea what this means. I'm going on the assumption that running sfc might help me here if I could do it. Is there any way around the issue?

(2) Attempting to run bootrec /fixboot reports back with "The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all reqired file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted." If I'm understanding this correctly, it doesn't seem right as I can definitely access my C: drive from the Vista recovery console's Command Prompt and it happily lists the contents of the Windows directory that is on there. Again, is there any way around this one?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:55 PM

Get into recovery console and run these commands

cd c:\WINDOWS\WinSxS

del pending.xml

Restart your PC

You should boot into Windows now

#3 mark1978

mark1978
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:08 AM

Thanks for the advice. I tried what you suggested but there was no one file entitled "pending.xml" - rather, a number of files called "pending.xml.xxxxxxxxxxxx" (ie with a long suffix of random letters and numbers). I tried del pending.xml.* and restarted, but unfortunately it has made no difference - I still have the same problem as before.

Any more ideas...?

Edited by mark1978, 08 December 2011 - 10:08 AM.

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:32 PM

It would probably be a good idea to rescue your documents from the computer before continuing.

While there are many ways to accomplish this, one of the fastest and easiest is using Puppy Linux live CD.

What you will need:
  • Another computer with a CD burner, a blank recordable CD disc, and a USB Flash drive or external USB drive large enough to rescue all of your documents.
View a tutorial: Recover files from Windows Vista hard disk using Puppy Linux.

Regards,
Brooks

#5 YardDog1

YardDog1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:28 PM

Hello, here is a guide of how to back up and save your stuff.. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

Please use restore points often

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users