Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dv9000..turns on but nvidia chip is cold, no video

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mcgyverthetek

Mcgyverthetek

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:27 PM

this laptop turns on but no video, i took it everything apart to check for short circuits or anything looking unusual. Other than no video, this laptop runs perfect, fan runs when powered on, reflowed TWICE, second time longer than 4 mins...any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:29 PM

Reflows do not work well on the Nvidia chips if at all.
If you can find someone willing to do a real reball of the chip that may work. By reball I mean remove the chip, put new solder balls on it and put it back on.

If you pressed on the chip when doing the reflow the solder may have spread out enough to cause shorts.

I seem to remember that the Nvidia chip can go bad too. Beyond that it could also be some other defect too.

If someone gave me a dv9000 with AMD and Nvidia I wouldn't even play with it. I would just put in on the shelf in case I can use parts from it in the future.

I know this isn't what you want to hear. Just based on what I have observed. I did replace a motherboard fro someone that really wanted to fix it. What a Pain. Motherboard was repaired in China, Installed it and all worked except the DVDRW. Send it back second one worked. So had to send motherboards to China twice once core charge and once warranty.

Edited by rotor123, 07 December 2011 - 05:30 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:12 PM

I am currently working on a HP V3000 model(6 year old model)with a blacksreen on both lid monitor and external. Seems to be a dead end on my diagnosis...

Tekken

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:30 AM

I am currently working on a HP V3000 model(6 year old model)with a blacksreen on both lid monitor and external. Seems to be a dead end on my diagnosis...

Hi, I took a quick search via Google http://www.google.com/search?sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=HP+V3000+video+problem&btnG=Search&gbv=1&sei=0NXgTt-KFsTv0gHA3t3MBw and found that as I expected that model when equipped with a Nvida chip is problematic.
The thread below is from a HP Forum.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Display-and-Video/Compaq-Presario-V3000-Nvidia-Video-problem/td-p/19809

Sorry to say it may not be good news.

Edited by rotor123, 08 December 2011 - 10:31 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:53 PM

Sorry to say it may not be good news.

Thanks for the link rotor123. :) My Only last chance now is removing the network card as mentioned hopefully as oppose to being a chipset or motherboard defect.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users