Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

STOP error when reinstalling XP on partitioned disk

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SabineDJ

SabineDJ

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:30 PM

Hi

I have a Dell XPS 360 computer with a partioned hard drive, a Vista partition which was unused until my recent problems, and an XP partition which I was advised I would have to reformat and reinstall following system corruption.

I've reformatted the XP partition but can't reinstall as the reinstallation disk never displays setup options. It displays a blue screen with "Windows Setup" at the top and no further text or options. The following messages then appear at the bottom of the screen:

Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver
Press F2 to start Automatic System Recovery
Setup is loading files
Setup is starting Windows

I then get a blue screen with :

STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

I googled this error and found that the solution that worked for nearly everybody was to change the SATA mode in the BIOS. However I have no option to do this. I have tried running a program called MicrosoftFixit50470.msi, which seemed to be related to the problem, but it made no difference. I'm now completely stuck, and would be really grateful if anyone can help me out.

I have BIOS Dell 1.0.13, chipset NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI MCP.

Edited by SabineDJ, 07 December 2011 - 12:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:35 PM

<<Dell XPS 360>>

I see no documentation for such model system.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 07 December 2011 - 12:36 PM.

#3 SabineDJ

SabineDJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:36 PM

Sorry, it's a Dell XPS 630i.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:03 PM

<<I googled this error and found that the solution that worked for nearly everybody was to change the SATA mode in the BIOS>>

I think that you misinterpreted that error...it's a generic error and often results when things go wrong when users are trying either a repair install or install of Windows on some partition they have created without using the MS XP CD, IMO.

That system supports 4 SATA drives only has 1 EIDE slot.

<<...a Vista partition which was unused until my recent problems, and an XP partition which I was advised I would have to reformat and reinstall following system corruption.>>

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&docid=117343&doclang=en&l=en&s=gen&cs=

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 07 December 2011 - 03:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users