Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to delete old Windows 7 from spare HD?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MurphyMan

MurphyMan

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:36 AM

eMachines ET1831-07 Desktop
Win 7 64
OCZ 60GB solid state drive (C;/)
109 GB hard drive (E:/)

About two months ago I installed a new solid state drive and made it my boot drive. I just have Win 7 on it, and some key programs like Office, Chrome & some programs that only install to the c:/ drive, like Quicken. What was formerly the C:/ hard drive is now the E:/ drive. Now, whenever I install a new program, I always try to place it on what is now the E:/ drive. When I did all this, I renamed the E:/ drive Windows folder to E:/X Windows and figured it wouldn't be used.

So far so good. Everything is working fine.

To gain more space on the E: drive I would now like to remove everything from the E:/X Windows. I wished I could just send it to the recycle bin but Windows says I need special privileges.

How can I accomplish this? What pitfalls might I encounter?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:15 PM

First, back up anything you want to save on it, then go to start, computer, find the disc drive you wish to erase (not your primary one, your E: drive as it were) right click it, go down to format, and follow the instructions. It will erase everything on that particular drive, freeing up everything for your use.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 MurphyMan

MurphyMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:24 PM

Thanks, but I just want to delete the old Windows folder, the operating system, and leave everything else. How would I do that?

Edited by MurphyMan, 07 December 2011 - 08:25 PM.

#4 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:40 PM

MurphyMan,

Try this:

"How to Delete a System File in Windows 7 or Vista":
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/how-to-delete-a-system-file-in-windows-vista/

And also read the responses on deleting folders.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:57 PM

then simply click the E: drive in my computer, go into the drive, and right click any windows related folders (or anything that you dont want) and click delete. It should automatically send them to the recycle bin, and then all you have to do is click empty recycle bin. deleting windows files on a secondary hard drive that is not being booted off of, is no different then any other file-just make sure you don't delete anything you want to keep. If you cant, you can try taking ownership of the file like M suggested above, but since it is a secondary drive it shouldnt be necessary I wouldnt think.

Edited by the_patriot11, 07 December 2011 - 09:59 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 MurphyMan

MurphyMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:12 AM

MurphyMan,

Try this:

"How to Delete a System File in Windows 7 or Vista":
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/how-to-delete-a-system-file-in-windows-vista/

And also read the responses on deleting folders.

This is just what I needed, thanks! I had to give myself complete permissions for that folder. Actually, one of the comments helped more than the article, but I got the job done, nonetheless.

Thanks again!

Murpph

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users