Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

monitor not working properly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 isloblues

isloblues

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:30 AM

hey guys,

i've been coming to this site for quite some time, never had a problem i couldnt fix myself and/or by referencing post's on this forum. I've met my match.

Overview:

Long story short...I bought a gateway desktop less than a year ago, i installed a NVIDIA video card into one of the pci slots (i believe thats what theyre called)

all was well up until a few weeks ago, my screen wouldnt turn on, and then would turn on, out of nowhere seemingly unprovoked, so i'd let it do its thing and load up when she was ready. next thing i know, she won't turn on altogether (started 2 weeks ago). let me rephrase, she will turn on, but there is no "talking" between my pc and monitor. id shut the computer down, and THEN the monitor would say "no signal detected" which is what it says when it would tell me that it wasn't connected (and i made it happen)

so, i tried disconnecting the "pci adapter" and plugged my monitor into the standard VGA port, where i'd put it had i not installed the NVIDIA card, and it was completely unresponsive.

Plan B: A week ago , i bought a samsung syncmaster monitor, plugged it into the pci slot (NVIDIA slot) and voila! ... monitors working again.

Not just yet buddy, she turns off within 10 minutes. when i say "turns off" i really mean "becomes inactive" the monitor works on its side, and powers on, so it leads me to believe its my computer thats having the party with my patience. again, my monitor and pc are not "talking" to eachother...but my monitor seems to know whats going on the way she says "no signal detected" when i shutdown the pc.

Here are some options i've tried, and a suggestion im going to attempt to work with upon advice from you fine people, and whoever thinks they can help me out with this issue.

I tried removing the nvidia video card, after powering off the pc of course. then, i plugged the VGA to the VGA on my pc. If that had worked, i'd be set, but it did not. This lead me to think that the system has the NVIDIA card recognized as primary for graphics/monitor config. That being said, as long as the video card is plug & play, why didnt my pc cancel it out, and go with the VGA like its supposed to?

Upon my endless research with this issue, i had an idea to reset my motherboard. heres my questions regarding that...1. how do i find out where the button is to do so? 2. will that wipe my computer like a format? will i lose all my data as a result? im obviously trying to avoid that.

Being that the samsung screen i bought last week worked for 10 minutes, and beutifully for that 10 minutes i might add...although it was in the NVIDIA card slot (i placed it back in its slot after the VGA attempt didnt work)...as far as the nvidia card goes i figure its an overheating problem possibly?

I'd like to remove the Nvidia card and work from there. is that a good idea?
Upon doing so, if my train of thought is correct...i then have to find the solution on why the VGA port on my computer is unresponsive...which is what i believe im looking to find the ultimate solution to, and the cause of the problem that brings me here.

Hopefully ive explained this in detail , and havent made it confusing for anyone.i might have jumbled here & there. Bottom line, my VGA port is unresponsive, and i have no way to visually see anything on my PC to remedy the issue.Anything i do as a solution, cannot start off by "configuring graphics settings from desktop" and such. which is why i suggested resetting the motherboard by hand, if thats a possibility for me.

ahead of time, thank you very much to anyone that takes a shot at helping me with my problem. you're taking time out of your day at no charge to save me the bang/boom/crash move i've been dreaming about. its SUCH a great desktop, that i wouldnt go that far...and im willing to do whatever it takes minus geeksquad to remedy this issue. again, thank you for your assistance ahead of time whether it works or not.

- Marc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:28 AM

Hello,

Question: What does your monitor when it is not connected with your Computer, meanwhile your monitor is on.
If the monitor is on, but there is not a connection with the Computer, than must you get a signal from the device, example: Your monitor is not connected with the Computer.
If there is no message on the screen, meanwhile the monitor is on and not connected with the Computer, than is the monitor dead.

When you get a signal without Computer connection, than is the videocard not compatible with your motherboard or it is broken.
In that case, must you to the Computershop for a new one.

By the way, it is also important that the Bios setting for your videocard is correct.
When you had a video connection via a build-in graphical driver, than must you in the Bios section video, the setting pci to set on pci-e.

Edited by Computer-man, 07 December 2011 - 10:49 AM.

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:55 PM

It would also help if you could post the specifics.

1. Are you referring to a PCI or PCI-Express (PCI-E) slot?

2. Make/model no. of the Nvidia card?

3. Make/model no. of your motherboard?

4. Make/model no. of your Power Supply Unit (PSU) (If this is what came with the Gateway desktop, please specify its model no.)

5. Have you tested the Nvidia card on another PC?

6. Does the monitor work fine with other computers?
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:27 AM

6. Does the monitor work fine with other computers?

If he got not a signal when the monitor is not connected with the computer, meanwhile the monitor is plugged on the wall socket, than is it also not necessary for testing on another pc.
Defect is defect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users