Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer never boots up a first time

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 im abcd

im abcd

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:47 AM

So these days whenever i start my pc the fans make a large sound and the cd drive comes out .And it remains that way and the windows doesn't boots .But when i try it a second time ,it works just fine .

Some time ago ,my cd drive used to come out but my windows used to boot up .But then once it stopped coming until a couple of days ago . So what do you guys think is wrong with my pc ?

Edit : Well i forgot to mention that this doesn't happens everything time i start my pc .Forgive my misleading title

Edited by im abcd, 07 December 2011 - 10:44 AM.

3dsig_zpsd150d538.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 504Steve

504Steve

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:46 AM

Sounds like your BIOS isn't completing POST, for whatever reason. Can you please provide some more details? How much RAM, how many sticks of RAM, processor/board or make and model of your PC, and do you have a graphics card installed, or is it using onboard video?

As far as your CD tray opening by itself, does your computer have a case that totally covers your CD drive? There's a possibility that the case is leaning too far against the actual button on the drive and that is causing your tray to open without your intention. If this is not the case, I would replace the data cable going to your CD tray (IDE ribbon cable or SATA) cable. If this doesn't fix it, try switching to a different cable on your power supply because odds are you have a cable shorting out that CD drive.

#3 Mcgyverthetek

Mcgyverthetek

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:31 PM

i would check the voltage on MB battery (2-3v)....maybe?

Edited by Mcgyverthetek, 07 December 2011 - 02:31 PM.

#4 im abcd

im abcd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:41 AM

Sounds like your BIOS isn't completing POST, for whatever reason. Can you please provide some more details? How much RAM, how many sticks of RAM, processor/board or make and model of your PC, and do you have a graphics card installed, or is it using onboard video?

As far as your CD tray opening by itself, does your computer have a case that totally covers your CD drive? There's a possibility that the case is leaning too far against the actual button on the drive and that is causing your tray to open without your intention. If this is not the case, I would replace the data cable going to your CD tray (IDE ribbon cable or SATA) cable. If this doesn't fix it, try switching to a different cable on your power supply because odds are you have a cable shorting out that CD drive.

I have 2 ram sticks ,1 gb each. Intel core 2 duo processor and yes i have an graphic card installed.I am running windows xp os.

i would check the voltage on MB battery (2-3v)....maybe?

Um,how do i check that ? By speed fan ?

If yes there are various volts reading ,which one should i see ?

Edited by im abcd, 08 December 2011 - 11:41 AM.

3dsig_zpsd150d538.png

#5 504Steve

504Steve

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:21 PM

I have 2 ram sticks ,1 gb each. Intel core 2 duo processor and yes i have an graphic card installed.I am running windows xp os.

Alright. First, you should try removing one stick of RAM at a time. See if you can restart a couple of times with just one stick and check if there's no issues. If your problem goes away with the isolated stick, that means the chip you removed is bad. I'd file for an RMA with the manufacturer, if possible.

Next, if you're still having issues, make sure your video card is getting ample power. Many graphics cards require an additional 4-pin, 6-pin, or 8-pin connector from your power supply to function properly. If you have one, make sure it's snapped in tightly. Try using onboard graphics if available, or a different video card to test with temporarily.

Perform some hardware stress tests/benchmarks, see if anything is struggling. Memtest86, Prime95, Speedfan, Realtemp are all just a few useful utilities to use when testing/stressing your system. I believe Realtemp comes with a Load Tester you can use to fully load your processor, just keep an eye on temperatures.

If all this is to no avail, it's most likely a power supply.

#6 im abcd

im abcd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:32 AM

Here are my Smart tests of the two hard disks done via speed fan

http://imgur.com/hlhfL,bnwXZ
http://imgur.com/hlhfL,bnwXZ#1
Also i have seen that my core 0 and core 1 temperatures are considerably high .They are both 65C ,could it be that the gel in my fans has dried ? If so how do you check that

Edit : Just found out that one of my 3 fans is dead .Going to replace it as soon as possible ,but can over heating really be cause of this unusual behavior ???

Edited by im abcd, 10 December 2011 - 12:28 PM.

3dsig_zpsd150d538.png

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:08 PM

Any thermal events could cause that certain behavior. Shutdown, unbootable, freezing, unresponsive, in the latter damaged components. After replacing fan, check again for hardware temps.

Tekken

#8 im abcd

im abcd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:11 PM

Just after i came to knew about my fan ,i tried to start my pc after some time and then it showed thermal overheating error .Anyways i started my AC and am able to use pc for some time now by keeping the temp in control .Going to replace the fans tom ,lets see what happens .

3dsig_zpsd150d538.png

#9 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:22 PM

65 C is not crazy high for a cpu

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:58 PM

<<65 C is not crazy high for a cpu>>

Since there is no standard CPU temperature max that can be applied to every CPU...I believe that you should look at the particular CPU in question.

http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/index.php?pageid=CPUtemperatures

http://ark.intel.com/products/family/22731

Louis

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:58 PM

Reapply thermal paste also. I would unload certain components if for example there is onboard video(as already mentioned), remove the optical drive malfunctioning just to check on any improvements after.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users