Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win2k Inaccessible Boot Device

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gtyler06

gtyler06

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 11:05 AM

Hi all,

I'm getting a the dreaded blue STOP screen...

***STOP: (0x0000007B 90x88ED5E50, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

I was working away yesterday when all of a sudden I got one of those irritating popup ads (which I haven't had in some time), then Trend Micro came up and said I got a virus and that it had quarantined it. Unfortunately I didn't do a screen dump on it so can't provide specifics on that. I don't recall it telling me what the name of the virus was.

My machine, Compaq NW8000 mobile workstation running Win2k SP4, worked fine for a couple hours afterwards. Then while working in Adobe Premiere, the app shut down by itself with no warning. A few seconds later the blue screen came up and have not been able to boot since. It gets 3/4 of the way through the Windows logo bootup screen, then goes to the blue screen. I've tried a boot disk and ran chkdsk c: /f and it says "Invalid drive specification".

I got the same blue screen last year but without a virus. A guy from our helpdesk came out and flipped the laptop over and got into it, presumably the hard drive, adjusted something, presumably reseating the connection, and it came back up. I've seen some posts about cables so I tried reseating the hard drive but with no luck.

Any ideas? I've read it could be the result of a boot sector virus but that's usually related to infected floppy disks and I rarely use them. Any and all help is most appreciated before they come out to reimage my disk and lose my data.

Many thanks,
Gerald

Edited by gtyler06, 03 February 2006 - 11:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 11:45 AM

Hi gtyler06...you might want to take a look at this link.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;324103

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 gtyler06

gtyler06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 12:00 PM

Thanks. Already saw that. It's XP-related, not Win2k.

#4 gtyler06

gtyler06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 06:36 PM

No more replies necessary... a support guy came out and replaced the drive. Hopefully they can restore my data.

Thanks,
Gerald

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users