Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Major Help Asap

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bill L

Bill L

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:46 AM

Ok have a Dell computer with XP........... My computer knowledge is limited so simple is best LOL. Anyway I think my hard drive was partitioned (sp). When I go to my computer I have a "C" drive and a "F" drive. Seems the F drive is bigger (67.2 GB free with 74.4 GB total) where as the "C" drive shows ZERO free space and 8.47 GB total. Everytime I use IE or anything else I get low disk space message. I went to add remove programs but nothing really that big left in there. I started to delete stuff when this first started. What can I do please.........getting to the point I cant use computer

HELP
BIll

Edited by Bill L, 03 February 2006 - 10:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 12:50 PM

There are several ways to handle this problem.
Start with running disk cleanup to free up some space & compress files.
Then move the personal files you have saved on C: to F:
Then see how much free space is available.
If there is an adequate of space then you can carry on just remember when saving and installing files & programs do so on F:
I like to leave around 500mb to 1.5gig of room on C: (for one that runs their swap file on C: I would try not to let C: get below 1.5 gig) for additional stuff that have to be installed on C: (ie: Windows Updates, curtain programs)

There is a way to disable the Low Disk warning, I will leave this to your decision if you would like to disable it.

Disable Low Disk Warning
Line #65 (left side)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

You can also repartition the drives on your computer by using a 3rd party partitioning program.
I use & recommend:
Partition Magic
http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/pr...rformance/pm80/

Additional Reading:
PLANNING YOUR PARTITIONS
http://aumha.org/a/parts.htm

Description of the Low Disk Space Notification in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;285107

#3 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 05 February 2006 - 04:02 PM

Is your C:/ Drive your Master Drive or Slave Drive? You probably wouldnt get the error messages if you made the F:/ the Master, as that will be the one you boot from everytime.

#4 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:59 PM

Is your C:/ Drive your Master Drive or Slave Drive? You probably wouldnt get the error messages if you made the F:/ the Master, as that will be the one you boot from everytime.

The message isn't the problem the problem is, the drive is full.

Not to say trying to boot from a drive with no OS.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:42 AM

Use Windows Explorer to see what it is that is taking up so much space on your C drive.

Move all data to F and set your data storage in all programs to save on F.

Clean all temp files, temp internet files, etc. and set them to store on F for the future.

#6 Bill L

Bill L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:52 AM

Thanks all f or your help. I was able to take advice from two of my posts and fix BOTH problems. I downloaded AVG anti virus and got rid of Norton Anti virus and that freed up a ton (over 1GB) of free space on my F drive. Now I have all my downloads going to F.

Thanks again for your help

#7 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 08:14 AM

You're Welcome Bill

On top of downloading and moving things to F: Drive, you can also set your Pagefile & Temp. folder to F:
That is why you get the low disk warning at different times.
Between the Swap & Temp file there is times they will use 1.5, if the Temp is dumped reguarly it can take up more.

Here is some info:
http://aumha.org/a/parts.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users