Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card installation issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dragonnson

dragonnson

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:41 PM

HELP.

Hey,

So, I bought an ATI Radeon 6790 the other day and it just came to me. I also got a new OCZ ZS-Series (I think its called that) 550 Watt power supply and it is working fine so I know any issues would not have to do with the power supply.
So, Here is my problem. After a lot of trouble I managed to install the 6790 into the PCI-express slot or whatever its called on my motherboard. What I have done, over and over and over again, is, boot up, disable my onboard graphics (which is Nvidia GeForce 9100) then I inserted my cd and installed everything onto my computer. However, after I disable the onboard graphics I will boot up my computer and everything, no problemo. But it comes back into a very low resolution and my Radeon doesn't show up in Device Manager, when I go to 'screen resolution' (btw I'm using Windows 7 64-bit) the display just says 'Default Monitor ON'. If I go into Catalyst Control Centre (the program that came with my driver that installed everything) if i try to adjust any settings, the following comes up and says that 'ATI's Display driver is not currently running'. I thought the driver would have been installed already. How do I get it running?

Also, other than my video card being plugged into the PCI-Express slot, there is nothing else connecting it to any part of my computer except to my power supply (since it requires a power supply connection). Do I somehow need to hook it up to my monitor? I've tried everything. I also have tried going into BIOS to change some driver settings but my BIOS on my computer (HP p6210y, AMD Athlon II X4 620 quad-core) has hardly any settings and doesnt have any settings at all relating to drivers or my graphics card or anything. I have no clue what to do.

PLEASE HELP MEEE

Thanks,

Matthew

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dragonnson

dragonnson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:11 PM

Oh, and I just tried to download the ATI program that discovers what graphics card I have and downloads the drivers for it, but it couldnt find my graphics card...also I read that what should happen is when I first start up after inserting the graphics card is that a pop up will appear saying 'new hardware detected' however that didn't happen either. BUT the fan is running on my card. So did I perhaps not insert it correctly? since the fan is runing, it wouldnt be broken, right?

Please help me :(

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:08 PM

Did you remember to uninstall any Nvidia software and drivers before installing AMD's Catalyst drivers? Which motherboard are you using? I've had issues if I install the new GPU in a PCI-E slot other than a certain one if I have a single graphics card. Make sure you are downloading the drivers direct from AMD's website. The typical install of a graphics card is this: Download the drivers for the new graphics card but do not install them, remove any drivers and software related to the previous graphics card, if you are using an integrated GPU, restart the PC and disable the on-board in the BIOS, if not, turn off the PC. Install the card in the PCI-E slot and connect any needed power cables, restart the PC and install the graphics card drivers and reboot. Windows has basic graphics card drivers to get the screen to operate, but the resolution is very low and not very good, following driver installation, you will have to reboot your PC to get things to work normally.

3939.png

#4 dragonnson

dragonnson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:18 AM

You know what my problem is, my motherboard is the one coming with the HP p6210y and it is a Pegatron M2N78-LA, thats what it says at least, it also says the HP/Compaq name is Violet-GL8E, i dont know much about them. But the BIOS is locked, or, it has very few settings on it. In fact it has no settings at all related to video configuration like most BIOS do on other computers. I'm afraid perhaps its just impossible for me to disable the onboard graphics in BIOS :\

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:39 PM

According to the HP site, you can upgrade a graphics card. You have only one PCI-E X16 slot, did you follow my installation instructions? Sometimes, the onboard GPU will disable itself if it detects another graphics card.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users