Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restoring After A Virus Infection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Westlake

Westlake

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:05 AM

If i have a virus, spyware, malware, etc... - free computer on Tues; i do a complete system backup on Weds and remove the media from the computer; On Thurs. my computer is infected with virus and on friday I do a complete restore of Weds backup is my computer free of virus.

incidentally, after discovering the virus or other infection i do nothing else to irradicate the infection excpet the restore.

thanks for your help!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 11:07 AM

This would depend on what you mean by a "compete system backup" and "complete system restore" and whether you reformatted your disk before restoring.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Westlake

Westlake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 11:39 AM

this is a hypothetical, trying to be active instead of reactive. i fortunately haven't had a virus or other related problems that i see posted here which seem time intensive to correct as well as emotionally draining. i presume thes individuals that send their hijack files et al... are doing so because there are no backups. I diligently do my back-ups and just started wondering if i was in the position of getting a virus or other malicious infection what would i do?

It seems that my natural reponse would be to restore my system to its clean state prior to the infection and BAM i am back in business...

I use Norton Ghost to do my back ups. i have a new system with xp pro sp2. i loaded all program apps, data files and tweaks. I used Norton Ghost to copy the hard drive to an identical drive that is now removed fron the pc and saved in the event of a crash. i do daily backups to a third drive that stays in the pc.

so referring back to my original querry.... if i am hit with a bad bad virus or malware type infection what would I do now months later?????

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 12:14 PM

A ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, as it were. Having an active anti-virus and firewall will do much to prevent malware ending up on your hard drive, as will following best practices for computer security (for example, don't download strange or unexpected E-mail attachments); something like 80 per cent of malware requires user participation to get itself esconced on a computer. And you comment about some malware (or combinations thereof) being difficult for the average user to remove, not to mention the frustration involved, is to the point.

While what you are proposing will in fact work, assuming you wipe your hard drive before "restoring" all your files, using some of the many applications for malware scanning and removal seems the easier way to go.
I back up my system and programmes once a month, but other data/files I back up at the same time that I save them to the hard drive.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users