Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to choose an anti-virus/anti other stuff

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 keepyourallysclose

keepyourallysclose

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:20 PM

Soo...I am computer savvy I think and I'm looking for a free anti-virus primarily, but I would also be interested in other tools. I am very picky, I used avg back when it was decent and avast for a while, but now whenever I look for anti-virus all I see is biased advertisement and programs that are usually malware themselves in some way. Right now, I have no protection software.

I want one that gives me these things:
Control>Convenience
Open Source or free to use>Trail
Specific>General

If any of that makes sense at all...

EDIT: I have looked through the choosing an anti-virus thread. I haven't tried MS Security Essentials, and I may. I am looking for a less-conventional means of good protection, I really do hope that avast isn't considered the best... Also I am on windows 7 32 bit probably a really basic thing to say earlier...

Edited by keepyourallysclose, 06 December 2011 - 06:38 PM.

...or at least that is my incoherent logic based analysis of doom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:53 PM

Microsoft Security Essentials has a quite a good reputation among other users whose opinions I trust, though I can't say I've used it myself. I have used Avast Internet Security for several years now and am quite pleased with it, though the new UI they came out with isn't my favorite. I chose Avast primarily due to its low impact on system performance, but also because it has a solid detection rate and mitigation ability for unknown threats.

As an auxiliary to your antivirus I highly recommend Malwarebytes AntiMalware. My understanding from persons who would know, which is corroborated by personal experience, is that MBAM focuses on detecting and removing malware which other scanners generally miss. Both Avast and MBAM offer free versions, but their paid versions have extra features which I think make them worth the price of a license. For example Avast Internet Security and Avast Professional both can optionally sandbox selected applications (you can do this without Avast on 32 bit editions of Windows 2000-XP by using Sandboxie) and the paid version of MBAM offers real-time protection as opposed to the free version's on-demand-only protection.

If you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7 then Microsoft's Windows Defender application is already installed and should be running. Windows Defender is available for XP as a download from Microsoft, but is not available for versions of Windows prior to XP.

So, my recommendation mirrors my own setup: Avast (Free, Pro, or Internet Security) as primary defense with MBAM and Windows Defender bringing up the rear. These tools, coupled with common sense security practices on your part should render your PC all but impregnable to the vast majority of threats.

Edited by Andrew, 06 December 2011 - 07:02 PM.

#3 keepyourallysclose

keepyourallysclose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:18 PM

I see, thank you for your input. I've used malwarebytes in the past, but lately I've come to hate avast though it may be better if I didn't have the free version. I have much better things to be putting my lack of money into than anti-virus, plus I have made this a sort of game in my head to find a better alternative that is free. Anybody know how lavasoft does these days by the way? I remember liking ad-aware although it very well may have changed in unpleasant ways as has avg. (opinion)

#4 ranget

ranget

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:01 PM

there is alot of lists on the internet of free security software

Google
"probebly the best security software list in the world "

A big thanks to Dider Stevens

sorry for not being around

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:19 PM

"Anybody know how lavasoft does these days by the way?"

Havent used Lavasoft Ad Aware in many years and I uninstall it on systems that I work on.
Used to be a good product years ago, just like Spybot Search and Destroy.
Both one of the first malware programs and, in their time, the best.

Avast Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware is what I use.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,511 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:39 PM

As for Lavasoft, I haven't trusted them since they went to the 'dark side' in 2008. Then MBAM showed up on the scene and I haven't looked back since. Lose my trust once as a security tool and it's hard to get it back.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 ranget

ranget

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:56 AM

Lavasoft offer a decent Detection for Malware
but similer to zonealarm Firewall
those products need to step up

anyway there is Prevex Free scanning without Removing Malware :thumbup2:

A big thanks to Dider Stevens

sorry for not being around

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:49 PM

Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools

After reading that, scroll up to the first topic posting and read Best Practices for Safe Computing - Prevention.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 keepyourallysclose

keepyourallysclose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:04 PM

thanks for all the advice! though i would consider avast one of these programs that have gone over to the "dark side" as well, i bet that if i paid for it it would be good enough. (although i am aware of a few other options) seeing as i'd rather go without any antivirus than using avast(silly as it may be)my temporary solution is using microsoft security essentials and perhaps getting malwarebytes.

i'd like to end this thread and call it resolved, although if anyone thinks of something that hasn't already been mentioned i would appreciate the input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users