Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Okay to disable or at least shrink pagefile.sys?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 burnface

burnface

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:37 PM

I don't fully understand how all this works yet, and I'm not sure if I can disable this and still expect it to run smoothly! Some places I looked said that with anything over 4gb of ram, I really wouldn't need it, but others said keep it for sure..

I appreciate any help!!

Thanks a lot!

-Shaun Z.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:45 PM

Leave it alone. There is no reason to try to disable it. I say "try" because you can't really disable the pagefile, only your ability to manage it. Windows OS's were designed to page - and they will - whether or not there is a formal pagefile. At least if there is one the OS will have a consistent location to and from which it can page. Bottom line, there is absolutely no reason to mess with the pagefile. Just leave it alone.

#3 burnface

burnface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:57 PM

Leave it alone. There is no reason to try to disable it. I say "try" because you can't really disable the pagefile, only your ability to manage it. Windows OS's were designed to page - and they will - whether or not there is a formal pagefile. At least if there is one the OS will have a consistent location to and from which it can page. Bottom line, there is absolutely no reason to mess with the pagefile. Just leave it alone.

Alright, that was kind of my original thought! Thanks lot for the quick reply!

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:00 PM

Sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users