Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Blu-ray burner isn't being "seen" by PC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Phil109

Phil109

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:26 PM

Hello all,
I just signed up. Last night, I installed a new OEM Lite-On Blu-ray burner from New Egg. I popped the lid, slid the drive in, connected the SATA cable to both the burner and the motherboard. Booted up, WIN 7 found and successfully installed the drivers, which it indicated on screen. The drive did appear under my computer.
After which, I then installed the included "free" software Cyberlink BD Solutions for Blu-ray, etc. After a re-start, the burner was not being recognized by the PC. That is also happening on and off. If I re-start, the drive appears, but even while still running, it goes away again!

I un-installed the included software, thinking that may have been the problem. It isn't! The drive continues to appear and disappear in My Computer.

Specs:
Intel i7 3.4 Ghz WIN 7 Professional 64 bit 16 Gigs of RAM Gigabyte motherboard. HDDs: WD 1.5 TB drives DVD: 2 SONY Optiarc DVD-RAM drives. Rosewill multi-card reader and Just installed: Lite-On IHBS112-04 Blu-ray Burner.

Could it be a registry thing? If so, I'm going to need step by step info on what to do. lol

Thanks,
Phil
321-622-8078

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 504Steve

504Steve

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:10 PM

Welcome Phil!

Let's start off with a few preliminary questions.

1) When your drive disappears, does a yellow exclamation point appear next to the optical drive in Device Manager? (Start -> Run -> type in "devmgmt.msc")

2) When it disappears, can you manually type the drive letter in Explorer to access it? For example, D:\

3) What happens when it disappears while it's still running, as you mentioned earlier?

#3 Phil109

Phil109
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:14 PM

Thanks!
Well, there's no yellow exclamation point. It just goes away. Also, Adobe Encore doesn't even see the drive.
Now here's an update: I just unplugged and plugged the SATA cable back into the Motherboard in the lower slot.
There's a upper and lower in the same plug, kinda like double decker. lol

It's up and the drive is there, but for how long is anyone's guess! lol
When the drive disappears, it just...Poof...gone, no error messages or anything

I'm at an absolute loss about now! NEWER UPDATE: The drive disappeared again and no, it won't come up in WIN Explorer when I type in J:\ So, it's not being detected now at all. WTH?????? Could the SATA connection be turned off or something?

Phil

Edited by Phil109, 06 December 2011 - 08:20 PM.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:39 PM

Must be with the connection or connecting ports since it was recognized and installed previously. Do you have another PC to insert your new Blu-ray drive for testing? Also, since the software installed started your issue, I would unistall this first.

Tekken

#5 504Steve

504Steve

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:49 PM

Thanks for the input Phil. I would check the following:

1) Replace SATA cable. If that doesn't work...

2) Swap the port on your motherboard. Make sure you're not plugging it into a SATA 3 (6gbps) slot. I've seen these ports cause trouble for optical drives.

2) Use a different power cable from your power supply, if possible.

3) Check to see if the drive still has power and can open and close when it is not being detected. If so...

4) Uninstall software, as a jhayz suggested.

5) Check to make sure you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard. Perform a BIOS upgrade with caution, ONLY if necessary.

#6 Kalirosemarie

Kalirosemarie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:50 PM

You could also make sure that AHCI is enabled in the BIOS for the SATA connection. *this could blue screen your computer if you dont have the proper driver installed.*

Edited by Kalirosemarie, 08 December 2011 - 01:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users