The file is c:\windows\system32\drivers\sfloppy.sys
High severity Threat: Rootkit : system modification
Edit: According to http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=89968.0 it is probably a false positive
I was not able to repair or move to chest. Have screen cap.
Avast recommends running boot time scan and i have not done so yet because I want to try to back up photos first - it has been a few months.
Immediate concern: If I save photos to external drive will I simply reinfect whatever computer I open them in later or infect the external hard drive? I do not understand root kits.
I have to leave town in 2 hours (it is 7:24 am here) and I think i should run the boot time scan before i go . However, I do not want to risk losing photos. Also I do not know if waiting to run that scan allows more damage by root kit to occur
Window XP home edition SP3
Avast Free 6.0.1367
Actually it just updated the definitions again so it was the previous set.
ZoneAlarm Free Firewall version: 10.1.065.000
vsmon version: 10.1.065.000
Driver version: 10.1.065.000
ZoneAlarm Browser Security: 1.5.350.0
ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner: 1.5.350.0
ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database: 188.8.131.52
ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Sites Database: 04.155
I have a Gateway GX7018E - about 6 years old.
I do not know what other info to provide.
I ran malwarebytes and superantispyware just a day or two ago and only tracking cookies were identified
The only unusual things I did since last scan were
1. use compressed air around fan without opening the pc housing itself the hour before Avast began its daily scan
2. Immediately before the scan i was looking at photos of my mom and her home that I got off of her computer long ago
3. stopped 2 processes in task manager ( jqs.exe and hkcmd.exe) for first time trying to free any memory at all possible. I looked them up here before stopping them in task manager earlier today
Also, my usb mouse has been having problems staying connected but i think it is the cord - I taped the cord to pc housing to keep from jiggling it and it works fine . However it could be my USB is not seated well or something.
1. Avast seemed resistant to opening. Kept closing when Id open it but finally opened and allowed me to run full scan. Come to think of it I do not think it took as long as I would expect it to .... I have 208 GB
2. I have been playing Cityville on Facebook using Google Chrome and Shockwave has been incredibly SLOW and freezing in Cityville but players report the problem widespread so I dont know if related
Has gotten worse this past week
Thank you for your help!
Edited by balfiecat, 06 December 2011 - 11:43 AM.