Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen everytime I turn on computer

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 mnovak

mnovak

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:51 AM

Hi

My desktop keeps showing blue screens. Yesterday I was able to start it up and tried to restore to a previous point, but it wouldn't complete and gave a blue screen. Now I can't turn the computer on without a blue screen displaying. I've pulled out the old laptop to post this. So far I've copied down the info for three of them. They are as follows:

The first one I saw:
REGISTRY_ERROR
TECHNICAL INFO:
0x000000051 (0x0000000D, 0x00000001, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Another blue screen displayed:
0x000000024 (0x00190203, 0x864401A8, 0x00000102, 0x00000000)

And the last one I saw:
0x000000024 (0x00190203, 0x86D79168, 0x00000102, 0x00000000)

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Michael

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:19 AM

Your STOP 24 error...indicates a problem with either a key system file, your partition/file structure, or your hard drive.

See 24 in left column at http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm .

The Stop 51 error is somewhat ambiguous, but...since part of the error message indicates a registry problem, I would believe that.

System mamufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:08 PM

The first thing to do is test the hard drive. If you tell us the hard drive manufacturer's name (brand name) and model we can point you to the most appropriate diagnostic utility to use. It is best to use the hard drive manufacturer's own diagnostic utility, but Seagate's tool will work OK on most brands. The diagnostic tool is run from a bootable CD (Windows does not need to be working).The first two steps are done on a working computer, while the third step is to boot the ailing computer with the CD that you create in the first two steps.

:step1: Please download SeaTools for DOS (CD) from Seagate's SeaTools for DOS web page

or use the following direct download link to download the latest version of SeaTools for DOS:
Download SeaTools for DOS ISO Image

The downloaded file name is SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO
[/list]
:step2: Burn the downloaded .ISO image to a CD using the appropriate burning software.
  • If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
    • Download and install ImgBurn.
      Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
    • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
    • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

:step3: Boot from the CD.
  • (You may need to access the BIOS Setup Menu or the Boot Menu and change the boot order to enable booting from CD before hard drive.)
  • From Basic tests on the Main Menu, run the Short test and then the Long test.

(The long test will take some considerable time to complete.)
    The results will be shown as either a PASS or FAIL.
    There is a chance that during the Long test, you may be offered the opportunity to attempt repairs on the hard drive:
  • If so, go ahead and attempt to do so, but ONLY after backing up all important personal files.
[/list]Note: You may wish to view the following ...
Please let us know the results of the tests.

When you can, include the make and model number of the problematic hard drive. If you do choose to use SeaTools, you will see the model number (and maybe the make) when SeaTools first detects the hard drive.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#4 mnovak

mnovak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:49 AM

The drive is a Samsung HD160JJ/P

Both the short and long tests failed - no option to attempt repairs.

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:52 PM

This looks like a good description of your hard drive:
SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series HD160JJ 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive

See the following for a summary of Samsung's testing utilities:
  • http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287#samsung
    I think the appropriate tool to download would be ES-Tool (The Drive Diagnostic Utility) v2.12a

However, given the result from testing with SeaTools ("Both the short and long tests failed"), I suggest that you don't bother testing the hard drive any further at this time. Instead, you need to consider your options for recovering from a failing hard drive.
  • Do you need to recover files from the failing hard drive? If you do have important material that needs to be recovered, then this should be your first priority.
  • Do you have installation CD/DVDs from which you can re-install the operating system on a new hard drive?

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#6 mnovak

mnovak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:56 AM

Yeah there are files that I need to recover.
I don't have a Windows installation CD though.

#7 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:39 PM

Do you know if there was a recovery partition on the hard drive that would enable you to restore to factory, out-of-the-box state?

Please detail the make and model of your particular computer. What version of XP was installed on the system ... Home or Pro ... and what service pack level was installed? Do you have the Windows key ... it is likely to be on a sticker somewhere on the box?

It is also very likely that you will need to purchase a new hard drive to replace the failing Samsung.

Re: "Yeah there are files that I need to recover."
Try the following to retrieve copies of your important files to a flashdrive or external hard drive.

If your computer is not able to boot into Windows or simply not able to access the internet, you can use a LIVE Linux operating system run from a bootable CD or flashdrive instead of Windows, to access the internet, to access files on the HDD(s) and do other tasks.

:step1: Using a working computer:
  • If you wish to use a LIVE CD ...
  • Download the Linux version of your choice (usually an .ISO image file).
  • There are many options to use for a LIVE CD. I suggest that you try one of the following:
  • Puppy Linux (smallest download file size at 128 MB)
  • Linux Mint 11 Katya (versions for a CD, and larger versions that need to be burned to a DVD disk)
[*]Burn the .ISO image to CD: If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
  • Download and install ImgBurn.
  • Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
  • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
  • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image
[*]When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.
[/list][*]OR ... if you wish to use a LIVE flashdrive ...
  • Go to UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads and at the top of the page, click on Download (for Windows) to download the application.
  • Follow the instructions further down the page under the heading Installation & Screenshots.
  • Run the application to download and install the Linux version of choice to your flashdrive.
  • I suggest that you try one of the following:
  • Puppy Linux (smallest download file size at 128 MB)
  • Linux Mint 11 Katya (download file size depends on version)
[/list][/list]
:step2: Boot the problematic machine from the LIVE CD or flashdrive.
  • (You may have to configure the Boot Menu or BIOS Setup Menu to boot first from the optical/CD drive or the flashdrive, which ever you are using.)
  • Choose to run the Linux operating system from the CD or flashdrive without making any changes to your computer.
    Do NOT install Linux on your hard drive.
  • When the Linux operating system loads ...
  • You will be able to navigate to all the files on your HDD.
  • You can backup your files by copying them to a flashdrive or an external hard drive.
  • Before using the internet (if you choose to use Puppy, for example) you may have to:
  • Configure/set up the internet connection
  • Download a favourite browser
    (With Linux Mint the foregoing should not be necessary.)
[/list]You may find one of the following guides useful:
Recover files from Windows XP hard disk using Puppy Linux

Recover files from Windows Vista hard disk using Puppy Linux

Recover files from Windows 7 hard disk using Puppy Linux

The easiest way to copy files/folders in Puppy is to drag-and-drop from one window to another. To do this open a window showing what you want to copy. Open another window showing the location that you wish to copy to .... and move the windows so that you can conveniently see both at the same time.

Now, simply drag the items you wish to copy from one window into the other. Simple.

----------------
Recent news, November 2011: You may be interested to have a look at the following:

The most popular Linux is...

No itís not Fedora, openSUSE, or even Ubuntu. Itís Linux Mint.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#8 mnovak

mnovak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:49 AM

Dell Dimension E520. Windows XP Home SP3. I do have the Windows product key.

I don't know if it has a recovery partition, but it has the i386 directory if thats what you mean.

Michael

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:56 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll check out your possible recovery options tomorrow.

In the meantime, I'll leave you to retrieve copies of your files. Let me know how you get on.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#10 mnovak

mnovak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:17 AM

I think I'm in luck. I downloaded Puppy Linux to my flash drive and am able to find the files I want on my PC. I'm in the process of copying them.

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:59 PM

Good: When you have safely backed up all your important personal files, let us know and we can have a closer look at the original problem.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#12 mnovak

mnovak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:38 PM

Copying files but having issues since the copy fails when the hard disk seems to "skip". It makes a clicking noise. I'll let you know if it happens on the same file.

#13 mnovak

mnovak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:53 AM

Ok, it looks like I'm done copying any files. The hard drive won't even show that its present when in Puppy Linux.

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:39 AM

How successful was the data recovery effort? Did you manage to retrieve copies of all your important files?

Is it worth any more effort to attempt further data recovery? Is there anything else on the hard drive that you wish to recover, and how important is it to you?
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#15 mnovak

mnovak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:11 PM

I managed to get most things in My Documents - and then it errored out and started clicking. Couldn't get any of our photos - bummer.
If there is some way to get those that would be awesome, they are mostly pictures of my kids.

Michael

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users