Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Windows 7 Computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ear

ear

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:00 PM

Do you have a tutorial or a list of things to do to a new computer the first time you boot it up? I just received a new HP laptop i-7 quad core and want to make sure all of the crap is off before using it for business. I've heard of a program called "decrapifier" but also wanted to know if there is anything else I should do when I first boot up the computer. I did not receive a Windows 7 disk with the computer so I think a re-install is out of the question. Do you uninstall unnecssary Windows features? Any list of "things to do" or tutorial would be of great help. Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:43 PM

Don't concentrate so much on the order of what to do. Make a list of what you want to do and just do it.

My opinion is that the security programs (antivirus and firewall) should be the first things you install.

Next would be Windows updates.

Then you can do the rest of it.

Most manufacturers do not include disks with their systems. Instead they now have a recovery partition which takes the place of disks.

To find out if there is a recovery partition on your computer

Start>All Programs>HP Tools>HP PC System Recovery.

After you get your computer set up with all the Microsoft updates and security programs MAKE RECOVERY DISKS.

Instructions for this can be found here http://www.pctechbytes.com/hp/recovery-creation/

It will probably take more than one disk so make sure you number each disk when you take it out of the cd tray.

Put the disks in a safe place, do not lose them. You can only make 1 set of the disks. What I suggest is that you copy the disks at least one time. If the original disks become scratched, broken or unusable you will have a back up to use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users