Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop only works when flash drive is insterted

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mcgyverthetek

Mcgyverthetek

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:12 PM

hi guys, im busting my brains out trying to see whats wrong with this GATEWAY M640...any 1 had this problem b4?

I have no idea what got into this craptop. here are the symptoms:
1. shuts down in less than 3 minutes of power up, WITHOUT the usb flash drive inserted on the side.
2. Works flawlessly with usb flash drive insterted, keeps laptop on until i shut it down.
3. it shuts down as soos as i disconnect/unplug the flash drive(anything connected to usb jack)
4. it doesn't restart when i want it to, it justshuts down abruptly.

i've check and swipe: Hard drive, memory, taken it apart to look for bad wires,keyboard, video looks goods, keyboard works, EVERYTHING works except that it only works with the usb flash drive inserted....any Ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mcgyverthetek

Mcgyverthetek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:31 PM

i guess nobody had this issue before..

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:34 PM

Did you secure wipe the hard drive and re-install windows ?
As a test have you tried making a linux disk such as one of the Puppy distributions and see how that works to eliminate the hardware.

Alternatively try a different hard drive and do a fresh windows install.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Kalirosemarie

Kalirosemarie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:23 PM

Im not really sure what would cause this. Make sure you have done all your windows updates and update any drivers. It *maybe* could be a short in the USB slot or something is not connected to the motherboard properly. Does the same thing happen in safe mode? have you tried scanning the USB stick for any virus/malware problems?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users