Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannon Printer Software Removal

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hp1634

hp1634

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:16 AM

Hi all, new to this site but have found some of the info very helpful...

I am having problems with some Cannon printer software removal. Ever since I have owned the printer (MPC200) i have had software problems. So I finally decided to concede and uninstall the software to start again as a plug and play installation. (its a USB connected printer).
But..... when i go to remove programs in windows it gives the message

Master

An installation support file could not be installed

The system cannot find the file specified

Can anyone tell me what this means and how i might get rid of this bleeping software. I have tried the CCleaner system but this gives me the same message.....

(I am running Windows XP Home SP2)
I am very new at this sort of thing as you may have guessed...!!!

//Mod edit: Spit away from old thread to receive current attention

Edited by KoanYorel, 03 February 2006 - 03:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:39 AM

This appears to be a problem with this model of printer and WinXP SP2.
See this article, it seems you need to get the updated driver, I couldn't find it from Cannon's website, there is a link to the driver on the bottom of this article.

http://www.alexnolan.net/articles/XPSP2.htm

General rule:
Do not plug in printers when installing drivers until directed to during the install, unless instucted to before starting the install.

A list of printer drivers that are included in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;293360

#3 hp1634

hp1634
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2006 - 05:44 AM

Thanks for your advice about the drivers, the site was useful but I still appear to be having strange problems.

I have tried plug and play methods and the cannon software disc but for some reason I am getting messages telling me that there is no connection between my computer and the printer. Also, no sooner than i plug the printer in and switch on, then my internet connection is lost and the only way i can get it back is by restarting the computer.

i am using a USB cable for connection.

After 18 months this printer is going to win this war and i feel the tip will be in for a visit!!!

Any help very much appreciated!!

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 16 February 2006 - 08:46 AM

In addition to updating the drivers with the latest ones for your model of printer written for Win XP (from Canon support) you may also have to uninstall, reboot and then reinstall the printer's control software as well.

Look in start/programs/Canon and see if it has an uninstall option. If not, find it in add/remove programs in your control panel and uninstall it, reboot and then reinstall it.

If you don't have the original installation disk that came with the Canon printer you should be able to download it from their support site which is preferable anyway as it will contain the latest drivers. Make sure you download the version for Win XP.

#5 hp1634

hp1634
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2006 - 01:07 AM

Thanks for the advice, but having tried that I feel i must again refer back to my first question on this discussion where i am now unable to uninstall the programme. There is no uninstall option on my program menu and when i go to the control panel method it gives me the same error message as before. :thumbsup:

I did at one stage think it was the printer cable(USB) but have tried others and get the same result. Also I know its doing something as it still messes up my internet connection. Also as soon as it is plugged in my computer picks it up as a USB mass storage device??

I have downloaded the drivers from another site as recommended before. Do you think I should try removing SP2 and then installing the printer.

I was out shopping, looking at printers today and have verbally threatened this one!!

Maybe that will help..
:flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users