Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Hang On Bootup or Won't Start At All

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 lstiles

lstiles

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:12 PM

I have an emachines computer with an AMD processor, running Windows XP service pack three. Last week the computer started hanging on bootup or just booting to a black screen. The emachines splash screen will flash and then the screen that shows which version of windows it starting up then the screen goes black for up to five minutes before the starting windows splash screen flashes. From there it hangs for up to fifteen minutes and then again with the desktop but no icons. Or it doesn't show anything and you just get a black screen. This whole process is taking up to an hour of trying to get the computer up. Today I clicked on the recovery console choice in the second screen and it said please wait for over twenty minutes, windows started and it hung up at the desk top again for a while.

I looked in the event viewer under system and there are disk errors that say "A driver detected a controller error on\device\hardisk1\D. I looked in the device manager and everything seems fine. Friday a ran check disk and it did not come up with any errors.

Do you think this is a windows issue or is my hard drive going bad? I don't know the hard drive manufacturer so I could download a diagnostic program. I checked the documentation that came with the computer and I can't find it. My next step is going to be to open the computer and make sure all the cables and cards are seated properly but I am afraid to turn it off. Any advise you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Leslie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lstiles

lstiles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:31 PM

I forgot to say that I have backed up all my data in the event that the hard drive is failing.

Thanks.

Leslie

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:17 PM

Hi Istiles,

If I am hearing you correctly, your system eventually (albeit inconsistently) boots into windows and you can open programs such as event viewer, etc. Does other software run normally once the desktop loads?

What is the model number of your eMachine?

Have you been having any issues with viruses in the recent past? Have you run a full virus scan recently?

What happens when you try to boot into safe mode: Is it faster to boot?

• Reboot your computer into Safe mode by following these instructions:
  • As the computer is booting, tap the "F8 key" continuously until you get the
    "Windows Advanced Options Menu."
  • Use your arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode" then press the Enter key.

Regards,
Brooks

#4 lstiles

lstiles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:47 PM

I have an Emachines T3256, with a 2.20 Gig AMD Athlon XP processor with a 128 kilobyte primary memory cache and a 512 kilobyte secondary memory cache, not hyper threaded. I have 1984 Megabytes usable memory (two 1024 MB) Mother board is First International Computer, Inc AU31 PCB 1.x and the BIOS is Phoenix Technologies, LTD TCB432C 8/6/2004. I am running Windows XP service pack 3 (build 2600). I use Microsoft Security Essentials for virus protection and have spyware blaster, superantispyware and malware bytes installed. Spyware blaster updates automatically. I also have a Zone Alarm firewall. I have not had any problems with viruses or spyware in about a year, when I had a nasty root kit virus that I finally got rid of with the help of the bleeping computer's wonderful volunteers. I keep windows and my software updated as well as run weekly virus scans. This my work computer, I work in a small one person office, but my boss uses it to go on the internet.

Once the computer finally boots up, every thing runs fine, all programs and internet usage is normal, I don't get any error messages or anything. Booting into safe mode was a little faster but not by much and it still got hung up loading the desktop icons. I ran malwarebytes and found nothing.

When this first started, I got the message that I needed to run chk dsk on a boot up and when I tried to run it,it froze up. I finally had to hold the power button until it shut off. I usually have to shut it down this way a couple of times before I actually get it to boot up. I backed up all my data and quick books, did a disk clean up and manually ran chk dsk with the r command, it told me it had to run on the next start up which it did. It took about two hours but found nothing.

Is there a way to find out the manufacturer of the hard drive from the computer? Or is there a program that can run diagnostics on any hard drive. I shut the computer off tonite so I was going to open the case and check the cables in the morning, so I will see if I can tell the hard drive manufacturer. I am hoping it's not the hard drive failing, but it seems weird that it runs great once it is booted up. I think I have covered everything.

Leslie

#5 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:10 AM

Hi Istiles,

Since a Chkdsk /r didn't reveal any disk issues, it would be prudent to run a hard drive diagnostics test.

If you can't see the hard drive manufacturer when you check the cable connections, you could look for it in Device Manager.

How to find drive manufacturer:
  • Right mouse click on "My Computer (either on your desktop or the start menu)," then click "Properties."
  • Select the "Hardware" tab then click "Device Manager."
  • Click the (+) sign next to "Disk Drives" to identify your hard drive manufacturer. If the name isn't "spelled out," then WD or WDC would be Western Digital and ST would be Seagate.
  • The SeaTools utility should work with most drives if you are unsure.
Next:

Regards,
Brooks

#6 lstiles

lstiles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:18 PM

I opened the case this morning, blew out the dust and checked all the cables were seated properly. Then I started it up and it was fine until the Windows XP splash screen came up. The bar stopped moving and I waited 10 minutes and then did a hard boot. I tried booting up to the recovery console but after the starting windows screen it just went black and nothing happened. I hard booted into safe mode and it booted up very quickly with no issues. I determined that I had a western digital hard drive so I downloaded their diagnostic utility. I tried to run it while I was in safe mode and it did not recognize any physical drives, which was weird. I rebooted it normally and it started right up lickity split with no issues. I ran the diagnostic program again and it came up with all the drives. A quick test came up with no errors. I plan on running the extended test before I go home because it says it takes hours.

So here is the thing, I am working on the computer, all my programs are running fine, I hear a click and the screen goes black. I turn it off and boot it up again, no problems it boots up right away. I'd had it on for about 1/2 an hour, I was typing this response and click, black screen again. I restarted, went to event viewer, there are no disk errors since yesterday. The only errors correspond with the black scree. Here is the error:
Posted Image

Computer just blacked out again and I had to reboot. So I wonder if some other piece of hardware it going bad like my video card or the mother board or if it is time to get a new computer. I could reinstall the operating system but it seems like a hardware issue not a software issue.

Edited by lstiles, 06 December 2011 - 03:28 PM.

Leslie

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:15 PM

When you checked the cables did you disconnect and reconnect them on both the drive and motehrboard side?

I also would suspect a hard drive that is failing.
Run the diagnostic utility that is appropriate to the manufactrer of your drive and do the thorough test.
It could take several hours to complete.

Let us know how it turns out.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 lstiles

lstiles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:26 PM

I plan on running the diagnostic a couple hours before I leave in case it takes forever. I did not pull the cables off completely and re-seat them. I just made sure they were pushed in good. My computer is booting up fine now but when I try to print, it clicks and goes to the black screen. When I look at the event viewer when I get back in the only error message is the radio pl service that I posted a picture of above.

I will post the results of the hard drive diagnostics as soon as it finishes. thanks.

Leslie

#9 lstiles

lstiles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:44 PM

I tried to run the diagnostic test last night but the computer would click to black screen after a few minutes in. This morning I opened the case and disconnected and reconnected the cables from the mother board and the hard drive. Today although it boots up fine, it clicks to the black screen within a few minutes. I can't even work on it. I just don't know if I should replace the hard drive or scrap the whole computer. I would like to do the cheapest thing possible. I don't want to buy a hard drive and then find out I need a whole new computer.

Any advise?

Leslie

#10 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:14 PM

Try this:

Download the Western Digital Diagnostics DOS (cd) Version (Diag504fCD.iso) and burn it to a CD. You may need to do this on another computer the way your display is acting.

• Can't burn an "Iso" image? Download ImgBurn from here.
  • Install the software then start ImgBurn.
  • Select "Write Image file to disk" then under "Source" click on the "folder icon" Posted Image to the right and select the "iso" file location.
  • Click on this icon to "Start." Posted Image

Boot the computer with the DOS CD (For how to set CDROM drive to boot first, go here) and run both short and extended tests.

Regards,
Brooks

#11 lstiles

lstiles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:45 PM

I tried that but I downloaded the dos version not the dos cd verison. I downloaded and created a bootable cd in Nero. I followed the direction but I couldn't get it to run in dos. I typed in the command exactly how they said but it wouldn't run. I am not familiar with dos. I did it when I could still use the computer. I brought a laptop in to use while I figure this out, but it's my Dad's and I don't want to install a bunch a stuff on it. He has nero, will that burn the iso image? I have to get cdrw's anyway because this computer doesn't burn dvds.

Leslie

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:47 PM

Last week the computer started hanging on bootup or just booting to a black screen
I hear a click and the screen goes black

The last time I had a system repaired on this issue was one of the RAM module was faulty. Blackcreen on all monitors used but keyboard still responsive on numlock pressing on/off which means its booting. Another thing I experience on another system was sudden freeze due to power supply or dirty gold contacts on RAM, Video card or faulty that needs replacement. But might wanna follow the suggestion as posted first.

Tekken

#13 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:55 PM

Yes, you can use Nero to burn the "iso" file to cd.

Regards,
Brooks

#14 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:48 PM

Reseat all cables. Dont just push on them.
Disconnect and reconnect them.
Reseat the memory as well

Agreed that you need to run hard drive diags on the system.
It could take hours because you want to run the full test.

When was the last time you backed up your data?
I would recommend doing so.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#15 lstiles

lstiles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:53 AM

I backed up my data on Monday when it really started acting up. I did re-seat the cables by completely disconnecting and reconnecting them this morning but not the ram, I will do that when I get in the morning. I am going to try and create a cd with the iso image to run the diagnostic, as Artrooks suggested above, so I can run it tomorrow. It doesn't matter how long it takes, if I can get it to run, because I can't use the computer any more anyway. I will report the results if I am successful with the cd.

Thanks.

Leslie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users