Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What laptop to buy??

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 alijayadv

alijayadv

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:01 PM

The past 5 years I've been getting my new computers from work, but not anymore. I am going to be gaming some (lightweight stuff only though). And ofcourse I want it to be snappy. Since I haven't been looking around for a while I'm a bit a my game. I mean, what processors popular/good and how much ram is considerd a lot?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:26 PM

What games? Do you want a gaming laptop recommendation? What else do you intend to do on this laptop?

How much are you prepared to spend?

Louis

Are you in the U.S.? If not...what are your possible sources for this computer?

Edited by hamluis, 05 December 2011 - 05:28 PM.

#3 sub123

sub123

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:11 AM

you should state the application,price in which you want to buy a laptop

#4 amythompson172

amythompson172

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:27 PM

I would suggest the ThinkPad X120e! Check it out on amazon:http://www.amazon.com/ThinkPad-X120e-05962RU-Notebook-1-6GHz/dp/B004PILTA8

AMD Fusion E-350 Dual-Core 1.60GHz Processor
4GB Ram
320GB HD
AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics Card
Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64bit
Webcam

Let me preface this review by saying that I have only had the x120e for about 24 hours. The short of it, is that the x120e is a fantastic laptop that should not even be mentioned when discussing or comparing, "netbooks." The x120e has handled everything I have thrown at it so far from playing back 1080p .mts videos from my Panasonic camcorder (although I had to download the Shark007 codec package, use google to find it), having 6+ firefox tabs open along side of VLC playing mp3s, and working in Microsoft word and excel at the same time. Many have even been gaming on it with Modern Warfare 2 running in the 20 fps range. Steam games like team fortress 2 run great on it. Do a search on youtube to check some of them out.

As others have mentioned it might be worth upgrading the hard drive to an SSD, I might do that in a month or so, but a cheap upgrade is the ram. You can get an 8gm ram kit off amazon for $50.

And I will be honest, I am replacing a 13" Macbook air (mid 2010) that my friend wanted to buy off of me. The x120e does all I need it to do, I was even able to edit some audio in adobe audition 5.5!

Aesthetically, the x120e is a very sleek, although not flashy, machine. Yes, it is thicker than the air, by about 2.5 times, but it doesn't matter. The length and width are identical (except the batter sticks out a little).

Finally, it comes loaded with Windows 7 Pro which will be great for business folks. Windows 7 is really a great operating system and goes toe to toe with OSX.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users