Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Fix Virus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 datay

datay

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:53 PM

When I boot in regular mode I see all the wonderful stuff from System Fix we all know and love. Everything is disabled. No task manager, reg edit etc. Only option is START exit, restart etc, no programs etc. In safe mode, with or with out networking I see no icons. Click START and see no programs, run is not an option either. In Administrator/safe mode, I see only Recycle bin and Internet explorer. I go out on net to Bleeping Computer and download Rkill and malware bytes. I run them and they say nothing is wrong.(prolly because there isn't in Administrator.) I have tried copying the two programs to CD and reboot in my user ID. Safe mode I see nothing so I cannot copy or run them in my user ID. What do I do next? It is a windows XP home (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr. 100216-1441: Service Pack 2. It is a HP Invent. 512 meg of ram. CPU AMD Athlon™ XP 3200+. Speed 2200MHJz/400MHz with 512 Cashe ram. I realize it is an old machine but it belongs to a friend and up until last week served it's purpose. It also has a bunch of files, pictures etc. If I could get control long enough I might talk them into a new machine. It is used in a dial up situation. I have it hooked to my network at my house. I would rather just strip the virus off but if I can't would placing the hard drive in a different computer as a slave could I copy off the files without infecting my computer? I can see it on my network but being a Home edition and never set up for networking I have no access.
Thank you in advance...
Datay

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 I eat wyrms

I eat wyrms

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:27 PM

When I boot in regular mode I see all the wonderful stuff from System Fix we all know and love. Everything is disabled. No task manager, reg edit etc. Only option is START exit, restart etc, no programs etc. In safe mode, with or with out networking I see no icons. Click START and see no programs, run is not an option either. In Administrator/safe mode, I see only Recycle bin and Internet explorer. I go out on net to Bleeping Computer and download Rkill and malware bytes. I run them and they say nothing is wrong.(prolly because there isn't in Administrator.) I have tried copying the two programs to CD and reboot in my user ID. Safe mode I see nothing so I cannot copy or run them in my user ID. What do I do next? It is a windows XP home (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr. 100216-1441: Service Pack 2. It is a HP Invent. 512 meg of ram. CPU AMD Athlon™ XP 3200+. Speed 2200MHJz/400MHz with 512 Cashe ram. I realize it is an old machine but it belongs to a friend and up until last week served it's purpose. It also has a bunch of files, pictures etc. If I could get control long enough I might talk them into a new machine. It is used in a dial up situation. I have it hooked to my network at my house. I would rather just strip the virus off but if I can't would placing the hard drive in a different computer as a slave could I copy off the files without infecting my computer? I can see it on my network but being a Home edition and never set up for networking I have no access.
Thank you in advance...
Datay

Sorry I was going to assist but I just read the guidelines and bleeping doesn't want non staff answering these questions. Good luck.

Edited by I eat wyrms, 05 December 2011 - 05:42 PM.

#3 jtr63

jtr63

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:28 PM

Can someone re-post the "unhide" link that was in the post from I eat wyrms that has just been edited out. We had used it to make some progress in overcoming the System Fix virus, but now cannot access it

Thanks
John

#4 datay

datay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:48 PM

Thank you all the same Eat Wyrms
Datay