Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ugly Malware, Partially Fixed - Thanks to you! 1 more Question:

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Ry J

Ry J

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:22 AM

Hi Bleeping Computer,

Last night I got the ugly PC Software & Optimization Malware (or whatever it is called). The one that hides all of your files and overruns your desktop, etc., while it runs that fake scan every time you log on. Well, I freaked out. After curling up into a ball and weeping for a little bit, I ultimately ran system restore twice, which at least got me back to my desktop. It was very difficult to even get to system restore in the first place because I couldn't run safe mode as I normally do. I had to click the ThinkVantage button (I have Lenovo) and then change boot order from "quick" to "diagnostics."

After running system restore, I used your absolutely amazing unhideall.exe program. I seriously love you for it, and I want to express the service you are providing is amazing and life saving. thank you.

In any event, I ran a full scan of malwarebytes:

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 359553
Time elapsed: 2 hour(s), 3 minute(s), 11 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 7

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\FoxTab FLV Player (Adware.Agent) -> No action taken.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
c:\Users\Ryan\AppData\Local\Temp\lvrbwxbbwvn5lo.exe.tmp (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> No action taken.
c:\Users\Ryan\AppData\Local\Temp\C90A.tmp (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> No action taken.
c:\Users\Ryan\AppData\Local\Temp\att-sst_installer\Setup\motiveclient\AXB.exe (Adware.BHO) -> No action taken.
c:\Users\Ryan\AppData\Local\Temp\icreinstall\flvplayersetup.exe (Adware.Agent) -> No action taken.
c:\Users\Ryan\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\deployment\cache\6.0\60\3691837c-20e8ff4e (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> No action taken.
c:\Users\Ryan\Pictures\flvplayersetup.exe (Adware.Agent) -> No action taken.
c:\program files\foxtabflvplayer\uninstall\uninstall.exe (Adware.Agent) -> No action taken.

I deleted those, and restarted.

EDIT: Sorry I just saw the No HiJack This message. I also look through most of your historical messages on the topic. I think I should be good to go. It appears that this malware is just a huge nuisance, but doesn't present any serious security threats such that I should be nervous about using my credit card etc.

Do you accept donations?

Edited by Ry J, 05 December 2011 - 12:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users