Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LAPTOP CHARGER PROBLEMS

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jfruch1

jfruch1

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:19 AM

My 3 year old Acer Extensa 5620Z laptop charger seemed to be malfunctioning - plug it in and sometimes it would switch to A/C sometimes it would not. Replaced it and new one worked for about a month. Now when you turn it on I first get beeping during start up (two beeps repeated over and over), then when Windows 7 loads the screen goes brighter then dimmer over and over. In additon, the power keeps alternating from a/c to battery every few seconds. After a few minutes I started hearing a buzzing sound coming from the charger. Didn't want to spend any more money on this laptop and then find out it's a hardware problem. I've been told by someone who knows more than I do that it's probably a circuitry problem and I should get my data off it fast - which I did. Does this sound plausible? any other ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:32 AM

Hi jfruch1

Ive never known a laptop circuitry damage a laptop charger per say. My guess is that the new charger has unfortunately developed a fault. It could however be the laptops power jack that is faulty. The only way to find out is to try another charger if you can manage to borrow one that is compatible. If you do end up buying another charger I would suggest staying away from the cheaper ones on ebay.

jodav :)

#3 jfruch1

jfruch1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:46 AM

I was quite confused about all these weird things going on at once and was wondering if the new charger going bad was just a fluke while something else was going on inside the laptop.

#4 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:45 PM

I am sure you will get it sorted. Hopefuly it is just a new charger as a replacement power jack is a bigger job.

jodav :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users