Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frequent System crashes

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 paulwenman

paulwenman

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:08 AM

My Samsung NC20 has become seriously unstable and unusable. It crashed a few weeks ago with a blue screen and ever since then I have struggled to even get data off the machine - had to do it in a series of attempts, each time before the laptop crashed. I tried System Restore and it oculd find no restore points - even though its switched on.

So far I have (i no particular order):

1. re-installed parallel XP to allow me to get access over my data files and do other diagnostcs. This installation of XP is more stable than original but also crashes and fails to boot sometimes

2. Run chkdsk /R - no problems

3. Run Malwarebytes in safe mode - no problems

4. Tried to run boot time Avast scan - crashed

5. Run Recovery with Samsung disc and re-loaded all drivers that came with the disc.

6. Run CCleaner to clear out rubbish and also scanned registry - found many probs and asked to fix.

It now seems quite stable in Safe Mode in both systems, but still not stable in normal boot up.

Can you help me please?

Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 05 December 2011 - 04:42 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:37 AM

Let's try this.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html .

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When autoscan is done (screen comes up), click Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

#3 paulwenman

paulwenman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:06 PM

Hi Louis, thanks for your offer to help. Well I managed to boot up inmy original system, download the BlueScreenVIew and run it. But t's empty :(

I dont know what that means.

Paul

#4 paulwenman

paulwenman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:11 PM

Quick question... for some time now the laptop has been getting very hot quite quickly, even though the fan seems to be working. I have also been unable to use Skype on it, whereas I could previously - the cpu seems to be consumed 100% on these occasions and I wondered whether overheating oculd have caused this and maybe now has done some serious damage? Just a non-expert's random thought!

#5 paulwenman

paulwenman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:19 PM

ok Louis, here's the latest.I left the laptop on to see what happens. After about 10 mins I got a message to say that Windows Search Indexer has had to close and would I like to send a report to Microsoft. I clicked on No and the the latop closed down with a black screeen, no BSOD, and started to re-boot. I selected the original op system and then it stuck on a black screen. SO I forced a shutdowna nd tried to re-boot. It has now stuck on the opening Samsung screen (pre-Windows) and the are vertical lines on the screen looking like slow falling rain.

#6 paulwenman

paulwenman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:23 PM

Now having trouble botting up at all on the original system, normal or safe -still have vertical flshing lines

#7 paulwenman

paulwenman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:27 PM

Louis, final word from me for now. I tried to boot up into the parallel XP OS in safe mode and it has stuck on Mup.sys. I wont try anything more until I hear from you.

Thanks

Paul

#8 paulwenman

paulwenman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:05 PM

Luis any further thoughts???

#9 Mcgyverthetek

Mcgyverthetek

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:28 PM

i think is time to reinstall, virus probably damaged your mbr, registry or system files.

#10 paulwenman

paulwenman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:36 PM

Maybe but I hope not. So how come I have found no virus with Malwarebytes?

Is there no way to selectively identift damaged components and 'patch in' reapairs?

#11 Mcgyverthetek

Mcgyverthetek

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:29 PM

did you run rkill.exe(copy to mycomputer) before starting malwarebytes? in safe mode.

#12 paulwenman

paulwenman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:37 PM

Ran Malwarebytes in Safe mode .... but did not run Rkill first. Will do next :)

Thanks

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:01 PM

CCleaner dleeted your .dmp files...which is why BlueScreenView reflects no data.

Those files were the system's method of pointing the way to "the probleme."

Without any key evidence, I can't suggest a direction in which to proceed.

Louis

#14 paulwenman

paulwenman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:26 PM

Oh I see. I guess that's an importnat thingfor novices to know if we get BSOD - dont run CCleaner or equivalent. Bit like if u get you phone wet - don't switch it on. So whatdo you recommend new install?

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:33 AM

Well...if I had a laptop which was problematical...and no clues to proceed on...I'd use the restore/recovery mechanism provided by the manufacturer to start over...following the procedures set forth by the manufacturer.

That's assuming that I don't have a MS install CD/DVD for that system (which would allow me to try to do a repair install, hoping that might solve it).

A quick glance indicates that these are part of the system package when sold:

A Using Samsung Recovery Solution booklet
A system recovery media CD
A system software media DVD

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users