Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Codec messages and more problems...

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 yellowcarrot2

yellowcarrot2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:20 AM

Hi guys,

I have an emachines E725 Laptop running Windows 7 that I'm having some problems with, and I'm wondering if I can get some advice. I am running Avast antivirus on my system. The problem started several months ago with these annoying popup messages that can up occasionally. They say "System Codec Failure, Detected New Version of Codec". I did a full system scan that found nothing and a google search about the popups, and didn't find anything that showed me how to remove whatever it was creating the popups. It was more of an annoyance than anything else so I just let things go. Anyway, they have continued and become more frequent so I tried restoring the computer using a restore point. When I try doing this, a popup comes up saying that the hard disk has errors. There is a link that says "Check disk for errors", but when I click this and click on start, it says it can't check the disk while it is in use, and asks if I'd like to schedule a disk check. When I click on the appropriate button it just goes away without scheduling a disk check, and I'm back to square one. When I start the machine, something comes up on the screen that says it can't do a disk check.

So basically I'm concerned that something's seriously wrong with the computer since it can't even perform a disk check, and I still can't get rid of the popup, and who knows what the popup is doing to my system or what kind of data it is sending out. I don't really know what to do short of reinstalling windows and totally starting over.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Pat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users