Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with Format of my PC needed

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 purplewarrior

purplewarrior

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:33 AM

Hello guys,
To format a computer I need to go to the bios set up and then boot from the windows installation CD. Then it will show existing partitions(drives).I need to delete them all and create new partitions(Lets suppose that I created 4 partitions i.e. C,D,E,F drives) . Then I would install the OS on C drive. I think I'm correct up to this step. But I am a bit confused on what to do after this step? I mean how do I format the other drives ? I heard that I can do this in two methods ,one is "after installing the OS on C drive when you start your computer you must go to my computer and right click on each of the D,E,F drives and click FORMAT).I am unsure about the second method which I don't remember clearly(It's something like "format the drives individually at the sceen where u create and delete partitions in the win xp CD set up").And exactly what I need from the answerers is If you know the second method,explain it.And also please tell me which out of the two methods is good and effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:37 AM

http://www.buildeasypc.com/sw/windows_xp.htm

Tekken

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:14 AM

jhayz link gives a decent overview.

I think the simplest way is to only bother about the C: partition during installation, then manage (create and format) the other partitions from within Windows once it is installed:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/partition-and-format-a-disk-in-windows/

If you want to increase the size of the C: partition however, you will need to delete the other partitions also during the installation (or before as below).

If C: can stay the same size you can simply choose to format it during the installation.

Simplest (and best if there is a cause such as severe virus infection) for removing all partition/file structure and drive contents is to wipe the drive beforehand with the drive manufacturer's utility, or a third-party bootable utility like DBAN.

Using the XP CD, you would need to delete the partitions one by one. If the D:, E: etc are logical drives in an extended partition, all the logical drives must be deleted, then the extended partition. It's more complicated to explain than to do, but a drive wiping utility is still simpler.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:30 AM

How to perform a Clean Install by Tim Fisher
Clean Install Windows XP by Michael Stevenstech
Windows XP Clean Installation - Partitioning and Formatting using Windows XP CD. By Windows XP. MVPS
Clean Installation of Windows XP by 5 star support
Clean Install of Windows XP by Webtree
An Illustrated Step By Step Instruction for Doing a Clean XP Install by Pruitt Family

All these were found by typing "Clean install of XP" in Google -

#5 purplewarrior

purplewarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:06 AM

Hi platypus,
Thanks for responding. I understood your post but still need to clarify some doubts.
Generally during the Installation of windows a blue screen will pop up where we need to delete and recreate the drives, right? Lets suppose that i deleted my entire 4 drives at that screen and again created 4 drives and I installed the OS on my main drive i.e. C:
Now after the installation is completed and when I start the computer and try to open the other 3 drives it will display a message "This drive needs to formatted,proceed or not "something like that ,right?
Now generally some people will get the doubt "I just deleted and recreated all my drives, again why is it telling me again to format". But i know that this format doesn't mean the same, it is about setting up a file system and tuning the drive so that It can be used, right? Hope I am correct upto this point.
What I wanna know is isnt there any procedure to format the other 3 drives during the installation of windows?
Hope you got it.
Thank you.
And BTW I couldnt understand the thing logical and extended partitions. Anyways is there anyway to find the info (like extended partition or logical drives in a extened partition) of my drives on my PC?

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,991 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:23 AM

I don't know of a way to format multiple drives from the Windows Setup, probably because it's not necessary and reduces the risk of accidentally formatting a drive you didn't intend to. To install, Windows Setup only needs to format the System drive, and you don't want any other drives also formatted as a System drive. Also, there's no certainty you'll want the other drives formatted with a Windows file system, you could want an EXT file system format to install Linux, and Windows can't do that anyway. So overall it's best, and no disadvantage, to deal with the rest of the formatting later, or if it really must be done first, partition and format the drive prior to installing Windows, using a dedicated drive management utility booting from a CD or flash drive.

Disk Management in Windows (right click My Computer, Manage, Storage\Disk Management) shows you the type of partitions. A basic disk is most likely to have Primary Partitions, but a disk can only have a maximum of four primary partitions. An Extended Partition is more complex, but forms a container that can have multiple Logical Drives set up within it. So if you wanted more than four drives, then there would need to be an extended partition. The main difference for managing an extended partition is that it must be empty before it can be deleted, so all the logical drives in it must be deleted first.

Microsoft offers a guide on using Disk Management here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:01 PM

Now generally some people will get the doubt "I just deleted and recreated all my drives, again why is it telling me again to format"

no confusion if you use the correct term ,its not 4 drives ,its one drive ,4 partitions ,,so you say you just recreated your Drive and all its partitions ,your can created all 4 in xp setup ,and just format c:\ and install winxp and they format the others in diskmanager after the install of xp

i have to wonder why you need it partitioned into 4 ,.my opinion 2 is enough , one for OS one for file /data backup

Edited by caperjac, 06 December 2011 - 08:03 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#8 purplewarrior

purplewarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:31 AM

Hi Platypus,
Thanks for responding back.
But I need some more help. Actually I just now checked my disk management and It showed one primary partition and 3 logical drives in an extended partition. You said that "If I have an extended partition ,during format (at the windows blue screen where it shows the partitions) I need to delete the logical drives in it first and then the extended partition", right? Ok, after deleting them how shall I create them(the extended partition and the logical drives in it) again there itself.
Thank you.
(I am really sorry for responding back so lately)

Edited by purplewarrior, 15 December 2011 - 07:34 AM.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,991 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:40 AM

That would be as I mentioned in post #3:

manage (create and format) the other partitions from within Windows once it is installed:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/partition-and-format-a-disk-in-windows/

#10 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:40 PM

The best way is on WinXP Installation you create one partition (C:) and do Full Format NOT Quick Format as Drive Letter could be automatically changed when you install WinXP again on future.
When you done installing WinXP you could proceed with Platypus advice on post #3, but for safety please do Full Format Not Quick Format.

The main problem is if your WinXP damaged and you need to reinstalling it again.
If you do Quick Format, Drive Letter C: that refer to your Windows Partition sometimes changed to another partition that contains your data not your Windows Partition so when your WinXP reinstallation finish it will at D: or another letter not at C:

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#11 purplewarrior

purplewarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:13 AM

Hi platypus,
Thanks for your reply.
Still need some more help. Actually after booting into the windows xp CD ,at the screen where it shows partitions, how does it show a extended partition?
Generally it will show partitions like this:

C: Partition1 [NTFS] xxxxx MB <xxxx MB Free>
D: Partition2 [NTFS] xxxxx MB <xxxx MB Free>
Unpartitioned space xxxxx MB

Im not sure but I think that the above example is for 2 primary partitions and in the same way i wanna know how does it show a extended partition?
I also wanna know how to delete and recreate the extended partition and the logical drives in it there itself. You said before that it's quite difficult to explain (in post #3). If the procedure is so lengthy and difficult to explain atleast please try to give me a link if possible.
Thank you.

Edited by purplewarrior, 16 December 2011 - 12:18 AM.

#12 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:30 AM

Select the C: partition and delete it.
That will delete the logical drives as well.

Think about it like a pie.
You have one pie cut into slices basically, but it is still one pie.

When you delete the partiton it is starting over.
There is no way in the Windows setup to retain or manage multiple partitions.
Most users just want to get Windows reinstalled as fast as possible and only have one partition.
I dont understand why you need four partitions.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#13 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,991 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 06:25 AM

Windows setup is unsophisticated about partitions, because it merely wants a Primary partition to install Windows onto. It simply shows all recognized partitions on a drive, without differentiating. So if you want to know the partition types and recreate them exactly (or modified equivalents) you'll need to discover that beforehand in Windows Disk Management or a partitioning utility.

The only clue during Setup will be whether the unpartitioned space created when adjacent partitions are deleted becomes combined. If you delete Partition 1 and Partition 2 leaving Partition 3 and 4, and those deleted are both Primary, they will produce a single unpartitioned space. If Partition 2 is one of a set of logical drives, when 2 is deleted, its space will remain as a second unpartitioned space, because it belongs in the container with the other logical drives, and cannot be combined with the space from a Primary partition. The other logical drives (shown as Partition 3 & 4) will also have to be deleted before their space will combine to show the whole drive unpartitioned.

The point about partitioning being more complicated to explain than to do, is that the operations (as covered in the link on post #3) become self-explanatory when you do them, they're menu options and wizard choices. So explaining them in detail just fills up a lot of space and makes it sound complicated.

#14 purplewarrior

purplewarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:26 AM

Hi platypus,
Thank you very much for your reply.
But I have some more doubts.
Any partition that I create in windows set up will become primary , right?
If my above statement is correct then i want to know the following.
So now I shall delete all partitions in windows set up but only recreate C:( my main partition)with 20 GB of my HDD( my HDDs total capacity is 150 GB) there itself and leave the unpartitioned space(130 GB) as it is and install windows xp on C : and after the installation I shall create the extended partition and the logical drives with disk management with the unpartitioned space , Right?

Edited by purplewarrior, 17 December 2011 - 12:30 AM.

#15 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,991 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:36 AM

Any partition that I create in windows set up will become primary , right?

Yes, correct.

I shall delete all partitions in windows set up but only recreate C:( my main partition)with 20 GB of my HDD( my HDDs total capacity is 150 GB) there itself and leave the unpartitioned space(130 GB) as it is and install windows xp on C : and after the installation I shall create the extended partition and the logical drives with disk management with the unpartitioned space , Right?

That would achieve your purpose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users