Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing A New Hd,i Think.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bob-E

bob-E

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 02 February 2006 - 10:41 PM

Well Iwas unable to solve my printer install problems.I was able to get the Epson setup going but it does the same as the HP and only installs the scanner.Printer drivers won't install.So,I'm thinking it's got to be a messed up registry in windows.Reg mechanic did no good and I used Ccleaner,no diff.I also have IE issues which is why I used R.M. to begin with.So unless some one can come up w/some ideas I'm going to install a new HD and windows XP.There's a whole lotta crap on my HD now and would just as soon junk it.Now,what I need to know is what is the best way to save the stuff on the old HD to get it to the new one(files photos etc.).I read the post in other apps from fredron and don't want to lose stuff.Do i start w/two HDs,transfer data then remove the old drive?Should I use a jump drive to transfer this stuff and how many photos is 512mb in jpeg(approx)?Will it be a problem having '98 on the old drive and XP on the new?Can I just install XP over '98 and just keep the old drive without losing data?I think that does it for now.I'm sure i'll come up w/more.Bet ya can't wait!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 01:02 AM

The easiest thing to do is save the data to CD|DVD. That way if your new system is fouled by virus' your data is properly backed up.
If you install XP over 98 you will lose all your data.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 bob-E

bob-E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 12:36 PM

Is there any freeware available to perform transfer to CD?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:32 PM

If you are using a CD-RW or DVD-RW you can use that software.

#5 Sprite_Feedback

Sprite_Feedback

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:52 PM

You should always have a backup of all data that you consider irreplacable, also helps to backup stuff that is mearly hard to replace too :thumbsup:. It sounds like the best thing you can do is, providing you have a cd-rw or a dvd-rw, is to use what ever burning software you have to make a copy of all your data on to cds or dvds. You can then install windows using the same hard disc you have. Just make sure you format the drive and DO NOT install one version of windows over another especially going from 98 to XP as they are completely different under the hood and it just makes a mess of your install. A clean install is well worth the effort trust me.

Its impossibe to estimate easily how many jpegs are in 512MB as it depends on the size and resolution of the photos. However i would take a safe guess and say lots :flowers:.

If you are going to go from win98 to XP make sure you have the drivers you need, especially for what ever device you connect to the NET from, at least then you can download any you might have forgotten.

g

#6 bob-E

bob-E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:34 AM

The computer has an LG CDRW but I don't see any programs for using this drive to copy data or photos.It was a hand me down computer so I don't have the installation disc.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:39 AM

You can use MicroSoft Media Player to burn with.

#8 bob-E

bob-E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 11:43 AM

Oh,yeah-Duh!?Don't ask my name it might take awhile for me to remember!

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 11:57 AM

The computer has an LG CDRW but I don't see any programs for using this drive to copy data or photos.It was a hand me down computer so I don't have the installation disc.

You did ask, right?

#10 bob-E

bob-E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 01:09 AM

That was supposed to be self deprication not sarcasm aimed at you.Sorry for my ambiquity.

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 01:12 AM

Oops! :thumbsup: Sorry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users