Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer's infected

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sdnjack

sdnjack

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:37 PM

I just read that you don't want to see a log file from ComboFix on the first post, so I won't post it.

Here is a description of the problem: I'd been seeing a lot of viruses and trojans being caught by MS security, so I was running antivirus scans and also Spybot scans regularly. I had an AV Security Suite virus that I also attempted to remove. I came home from work one day and there were about 50 dialog boxes open stating that windows couldn't find some file or some such nonsense, the desktop was black, and there appeared to be no files on the computer. In fact, all of my files had been made hidden. I couldn't open task manager because it had been "blocked by my administrator". I stopped in at a local computer repair shop and spoke with someone who said he'd seen that happen before, and he said ComboFix usually took care of it and to run it from a flash drive. I did so in safe mode, but I had chosen plain safe mode, not safe mode with networking, so it didn't install a restore point. ComboFix said I had the Rockit virus and that it was particularly difficult to remove and had to reboot my computer. So it rebooted and continued until it finished. I then rebooted again with networking (still in safe mode) and ran it again for good measure and it installed the system restore software.

So I have two logs and would like someone to look at them.

I also have a couple of questions:
1. How did I get these viruses?
2. Is it possible that I was infected because there was a port open that should not have been? I stupidly installed a NDIS program so that I could run an old dos game in multiplayer mode, without reading up on how DosBox handles it for you. I uninstalled the NDIS software, but I'm not sure it got everything or closed the port (if it even opened one).
3. What should I do next?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:34 PM

Well,having run ComboFix we need to see that and a DDS log.

Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9 which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
Skip the GMER step and instead post the ComboFix log you posted earlier.

Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users