Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading computer - Have some questions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HBO114

HBO114

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:22 PM

So I bought this computer: Acer Ax1420g-u5832

I want to upgrade it so that I can play games like BF3, Skyrim, and other modern games with high settings and good framerate. To do that I will need a new case, gpu, psu, and possibly motherboard.

These are the things I've been looking at: Antec Three Hundred case, Thermaltake V3 Case, Corsair 600w Power Supply

I've looked at a few motherboards but I noticed that the ports on the motherboard don't add up to the slots for the ports on the cases. I was wondering if you guys could give me any advice on the best way to upgrade this computer. Thanks.

Edited by Budapest, 05 December 2011 - 12:56 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware ~Budapest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:05 AM

First off, I wouldn't spend the money on an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) computer expecting to upgrade the case, mobo, etc. I would have just built a computer in the first place. Buying a pre-built computer for $400, then spending another $300+ upgrading doesn't make sense when you could just build a decent gaming PC for $600 to begin with.

That being said, upgrading the graphics from integrated to dedicated, with a corresponding PSU upgrade, wouldn't be a bad idea.

Unless it is being explicitly sold as a gaming PC, most OEM's will skimp on graphics and the power supply. The average consumer knows about processor speed, RAM, and hard drive space, so I'm guessing that's why OEM's choose to cut corners on the GPU and PSU.

Honestly, I'm not sure if this computer is capable of playing BF3, Skyrim, etc., even with upgrades. I'm curious to hear other people's opinions on this.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 HBO114

HBO114
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:39 AM

Well to be honest, I really just want to play games such as Guild Wars, World of Warcraft, Team Fortress 2, and maybe Skyrim with a good framerate and high settings.

I was considering buying these three things to achieve that: Antec Three Hundred Case, Radeon HD 6670, Corsair 600w power supply

You don't think it would work?

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:58 AM

Those parts would work but you can get better performance by getting a 6870.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users