Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IP Address Not Assigned/No Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Afgncaap5

Afgncaap5

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:55 PM

I just had a particularly nasty bout with a bit of Malware, the XP Internet Security 2012 bug. I was able to get online through Safe Mode and used a tutorial on Youtube to combat the problem (which probably wasn't wise on my part.) However, it recommended downloading certain programs that I wasn't able to download and/or wasn't able to run on my home computer (the only one I got to run didn't yield any results.)

I went to a library, and then went to Youtube to get the links again, but rather than the XP Internet Security 2012 tutorial, I watched the XP Security 2012 tutorial at .

The good news is that I'm no longer being hounded by constant pop-ups that block me from using any of my programs. The bad news is now I can't get online. It says that I have no IP address assigned.

I know that in this particular tutorial, the main difference seemed to be the usage of Hijack This, so I'm wondering if Hijack This messed up something when I had it fix ctfmon.exe. Or maybe RogueKiller isn't a good program (I've not been able to find much written about it.)

For the record, I have the Windows XP Media Center edition, and that while I used to use a dial-up connection I now use a DSL connection. Not sure if that helps or not.

While I'm not in a crisis at the moment, I am hoping to resolve this pretty quickly (though at least the computer seems to be running perfectly normally with the exception of not being able to get online.) Have I permanently sundered my Internet usage, or is there something I might be able to do to fix this?

Edited by hamluis, 05 December 2011 - 07:42 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:16 PM

Hello -
Do you normally use a wireless or ethernet connection for your internet -

Thank you -

#3 Afgncaap5

Afgncaap5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:23 PM

Ethernet, I believe. (If it uses wires, it's Ethernet, yes?) If it matters, I use an external modem.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:40 PM

Are you having any of the problems that you had with XP Internet Security 2012, or is it just the internet connection now ??
(Yes, Ethernet means wired from a modem, it is called an Ethernet cable)
Try to download the free version of Malwarebytes Anti Malware to a USB stick and load it to the problem computer.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php

EDIT -
TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3.

S
tart > Run > Type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log
Press Enter -
Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog
Press Enter -
Reboot the machine.

Edited by noknojon, 04 December 2011 - 10:52 PM.

#5 Afgncaap5

Afgncaap5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:30 AM

The problem is just the Internet Connection. I don't see any symptoms of XP Internet Security 2012 on my computer. As far as I can tell, the computer is free of the malware's influence (though it's hard to be totally sure, of course.) However, I have also noticed a few odd sound issues such as being told that there is no sound mixer, or running programs where I can hear music but no sound effects.

I went to start, run and CMd and typed in the commands you recommended, but error messages popped up. For the first error message, it was in a box titled "netsh.exe - Entry Point Not Found". The message in the box said "The procedure entry point Migratewinsock configuration could not be located in the dynamic link library MSwsock.dll." When I clicked OK, the command prompt then printed two lines saying "The Following helper DLL cannot be loaded: IFMON.DLL." and "The following command was not found: Int ip reset.log."

The second command you asked me to type displayed a nearly identical message, but "Int ip reset.log" was replaced with "winsock reset catalog" when it said the command couldn't be found.

#6 Afgncaap5

Afgncaap5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:07 PM

Okay, I was able to get another copy of Malware Bytes onto a fresh flash drive, and installed/updated it onto the drive before taking it home and running it. Took a while to let the new full scan run, but it still didn't find anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users