Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore does not respond

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 traderboy

traderboy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:02 PM

I'm using windows XP 5.1, I have a sony vaio vgn fe 770g and use internet explorer 8.0 and firefox 8.0. The search on both will not pull up the page, need to highlight the browser and click on it to open. I uninstalled firefox.

I did a backup, then ran spybot S&D and super anti spyware, then tried to do a system restore and it does not respond. I have cleaned the registry,defragged and ran clean-up 3.0.

I do not have a windows XP disk, would like to reair systems restore. Worst case, Sony provides a system restore if I have to.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:23 PM

I have cleaned the registry
I do not have a windows XP disk

I hope that you have not used a Registry Cleaner program, as this is the worst thing to do -------
Do you know anybody that has an XP CD in case you do need one ??
Do you have any restore points in System Restore, or do you have problems accessing System Restore ??

Thank You -

#3 traderboy

traderboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:09 AM

I'm having problems with systems restore, it does not respond. And yes, I have cleaned the registry using super Anti spyware. Is it that I have removed the restore points? I'm having a windows problem and would like to restore the pc. I do not have access to a windows CD, would have to use sony vaio restore to original.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:40 AM

The search on both will not pull up the page

Are there errors or message shown when browsers unable to respond?

Tekken

#5 traderboy

traderboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:59 AM

the pc is usable, internet explorer works as does outlook. If you search, the results do not download, must highlight the browser and click again to get to the page. I just tried running malware bytes and it said it had to close, did not finish.

I do not get any error messages. My pc seems to be running ok, except for the seach problem and system restore does not work. I would like to use restore, may have to go back to day 1 reluctantly.

Hoping somebody has seen this before.

Edited by traderboy, 05 December 2011 - 09:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users