Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with running programs after removing Vista Antivirus 2012

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 docjej

docjej

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:36 PM

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit on a Vaio. It recently became infected with the Vista Antivirus 2012 malware and I followed the instructions by Grinler I found here on removing it using FixNCR.rg, RKill and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. I have also been running the free version of Avast ( which was set for automatic downloads so it should have been updated ), Windows Firewall ( havent been able to disable it despite the redundancy ) and am behind a router/modem from my ISP. Anyways it appears I successfully removed the malware but now anytime I try to open a program - IE, Firefox, Outlok - I am get a dialogue box stating I have attempted to open a file. Please choose a program to open it with. Sometimes I get one option, other times more. So with Firefox, it offers me Firefox as an option ( for the others it does not give me appropriate options ) but when I click it to open a browser window, I get in addition, another dialogue box stating

You have chosen to open firefox.exe
which is a : Application (903 kb)
from c:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox

Would you like to save this file?

This happens each time. I tried reinstalling Firefox with no improvement. I read a similar thread which had the user do a fix with the windows cd but I dont know if I still have it ( moved twice since purchasing this laptop a few years ago). Any advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 docjej

docjej
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:37 PM

I also noticed that after rebooting ( As per malwarebytes instructions ) none of my usual startup programs - avast chiefly, has started.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users