Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

inaccessible profile and agcutils.dll error

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Big Hans

Big Hans

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:02 PM

My wife's PC gives a warning at bootup that the profile is unusable and that it will use a temporary profile. I have tried creating a new profile and copying the old info, but the original profile folder gives a denied access error.

Also, when IE loads it gives an error: IE HAS ENCOUNTERED AN ERROR AND NEEDS TO CLOSE. Add-on name: agcutils.dll

Lastly, there may be a new program, DISCover My Games, it was in the quick launch area and my wife says it is new. I uninstalled it, it still shows in the quick launch but won't run if clicked.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:19 PM

there may be a new program, DISCover My Games, it was in the quick launch area and my wife says it is new.

Hi B / H -
Did your wife just install this game prior to your problems starting ??

Thank You -
EDIT - Is this a newer HP or has your wife recently installed Wild Tangent Games ??
Please see THIS

Edited by noknojon, 04 December 2011 - 08:26 PM.

#3 Big Hans

Big Hans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:13 PM

I was able to remove DISCover My Games, weird that, it is not an HP laptop. She did not knowingly install it, but I can't vouch whether it was there before the other problems or after.

the major issue now is the inaccessibility of her windows profile.

Edited by Big Hans, 04 December 2011 - 09:15 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:40 AM

<<...a warning at bootup that the profile is unusable and that it will use a temporary profile.>>

Normally indicative of a damaged profile.

Windows XP Problems if Your Profile Is Damaged - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326688

Copy Data from a Corrupted User Profile to a New Profile in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

Louis

#5 Big Hans

Big Hans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:08 PM

If I hover over the profile folder it, the tool tip says "the folder is empty", if I try to open it, it says the folder is inaccessible. Access is denied."

This prevents me from using any method \i have found to duplicate the old profile.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:26 PM

You might try taking ownership of that folder.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users