Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removed Win 7 Security 2012 Malware - W7 Won't Boot Now

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rex32

Rex32

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:18 PM

Hey Guys,

So I somehow got the Win 7 Security 2012 malware on my Lenovo x201t Win7 x64 Ultimate. I removed it with Malwarebytes and then Microsoft Security Essentials. Everything seemed fine after the removal, but now my computer won't boot. It tries once or twice, then loads in to the start-up recovery manager. I used the restore option once and it worked, removed the virus and tried again and now it won't boot up. I created an Acronis True Image backup last night and also a Windows System Restore point but before messing with those I wanted to post and see if there is anything else I should do first.

I'm thinking the MBR is messed up as that is what the Alureon virus writes to, correct? I'm in the command prompt in the recovery portion of Win7 that you can get to at bootup. I think I should run a command like fixmbr or something along those lines.

Could anyone please provide me with some input on how to try and fix this problem.

Lastly, big downside... I don't have a Win7 disk here, although I do have a disk image of my CD that I could burn - but my x201 doesn't have an optical drive. I would like to create a Win7 x64 Ultimate bootable USB stick on my thumb drive and I know that can be done from Windows but I only have access to a Mac, is there anyway to create a bootable disc image on a USB stick from a MAC??

Thanks a lot guys!

-Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rex32

Rex32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:55 PM

So I did the fixmbr command and now I can no longer push 'F11' to load Acronis True Image. I'm so incredibly frustrated right now... I think I'm just going to reinstall windows and start over, is there any possible way to make a bootable USB drive with the win7 CD image on it so I can reinstall windows? Again, I have no optical drive or I would just burn it to a DVD.

Thanks,

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users