Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dell Latitude D620 Internal HD failure

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 depogirl

depogirl

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:10 PM

Hello my HDD on my dell D620 failed. it is still under warranty and Dell sent me a new one. i have no issues taking out the
old and putting in the new. but I need to understand how to get the data off the old dell HDD. The errors that lead me to this and to Dell sending a replacement are: error in windows sys32 files (at startup) and when I tried to run the diagnostics I got a buch of failed errors on the SATA drive i.e. 1000-0146. Further errors in diagnostics showed the following:
Error code: 0F00:0240 mesg: block 134522738 address mark not found or media error.

so I will replace the drive today and reinstall windows but i need to better understand how if possible I can get the data off my "bad" HDD. Dell advised me to buy a SATA to USB drive like what you can get at FRY's http://www.frys.com/product/5625211 - one that supports power.

My question is once i have the USB/SATA device, do I just USB it into another computer and then see if I can read the data then copy/paste to the new HDD? not really sure how to do this as I have not done prior. would appreciate any insight here thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:23 PM

so I will replace the drive today and reinstall windows but i need to better understand how if possible I can get the data off my "bad" HDD.

When dealing with a troubled hard drive, it is best to NOT use any sort of USB adapter, but rather leave the HDD in the computer ... or connect it directly to the motherboard of a desktop PC. I suggest you put off buying the adapter for this task.

Best thing to do is leave the troubled hard drive where it is ... in the laptop.
On a working computer, create a Linux LiveCD and boot the laptop from the CD/DVD and retrieve your files to an external USB hard drive or flashdrive.

Please confirm that you have installation CD/DVDs to enable you to do a fresh install on your new hard drive.

If your computer is not able to boot into Windows or simply not able to access the internet, you can use a LIVE Linux operating system run from a bootable CD or flashdrive instead of Windows, to access the internet, to access files on the HDD(s) and do other tasks.

:step1: Using a working computer:
  • If you wish to use a LIVE CD ...
  • Download the Linux version of your choice (usually an .ISO image file).
  • There are many options to use for a LIVE CD. I suggest that you try one of the following:
  • Puppy Linux (smallest download file size at 128 MB)
  • Linux Mint 11 Katya (versions for a CD, and larger versions that need to be burned to a DVD disk)
[*]Burn the .ISO image to CD: If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
  • Download and install ImgBurn.
  • Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
  • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
  • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image
[*]When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.
[/list][*]OR ... if you wish to use a LIVE flashdrive ...
  • Go to UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads and at the top of the page, click on Download (for Windows) to download the application.
  • Follow the instructions further down the page under the heading Installation & Screenshots.
  • Run the application to download and install the Linux version of choice to your flashdrive.
  • I suggest that you try one of the following:
  • Puppy Linux (smallest download file size at 128 MB)
  • Linux Mint 11 Katya (download file size depends on version)
[/list][/list]
:step2: Boot the problematic machine from the LIVE CD or flashdrive.
  • (You may have to configure the Boot Menu or BIOS Setup Menu to boot first from the optical/CD drive or the flashdrive, which ever you are using.)
  • Choose to run the Linux operating system from the CD or flashdrive without making any changes to your computer.
    Do NOT install Linux on your hard drive.
  • When the Linux operating system loads ...
  • You will be able to navigate to all the files on your HDD.
  • You can backup your files by copying them to a flashdrive or an external hard drive.
  • Before using the internet (if you choose to use Puppy, for example) you may have to:
  • Configure/set up the internet connection
  • Download a favourite browser
    (With Linux Mint the foregoing should not be necessary.)
[/list]You may find one of the following guides useful:
Recover files from Windows XP hard disk using Puppy Linux

Recover files from Windows Vista hard disk using Puppy Linux

Recover files from Windows 7 hard disk using Puppy Linux

The easiest way to copy files/folders in Puppy is to drag-and-drop from one window to another. To do this open a window showing what you want to copy. Open another window showing the location that you wish to copy to .... and move the windows so that you can conveniently see both at the same time.

Now, simply drag the items you wish to copy from one window into the other. Simple.

----------------
Recent news, November 2011: You may be interested to have a look at the following:

The most popular Linux is...

No it’s not Fedora, openSUSE, or even Ubuntu. It’s Linux Mint.

Edited by AustrAlien, 04 December 2011 - 03:25 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 depogirl

depogirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:13 PM

thank you - I will download the puppy linux from a working computer to a flash drive - I cannot access windows nor the internet on the damaged computer. once I have done this i will report back if able to boot from it - also when the files are off I will still need to replace the HDD (internal) and reinstall windows correct?

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:05 PM

when the files are off I will still need to replace the HDD (internal) and reinstall windows correct?

That will most likely be the case. However, you may wish to further test the problematic hard drive before removing it from the laptop.

Test the hard drive. If you tell us the hard drive manufacturer's name (brand name) and model we can point you to the most appropriate diagnostic utility to use. It is best to use the hard drive manufacturer's own diagnostic utility, but Seagate's tool will work OK on most brands. The diagnostic tool is run from a bootable CD (Windows does not need to be working).The first two steps are done on a working computer, while the third step is to boot the ailing computer with the CD that you create in the first two steps.

:step1: Please download SeaTools for DOS (CD) from Seagate's SeaTools for DOS web page

or use the following direct download link to download the latest version of SeaTools for DOS:
Download SeaTools for DOS ISO Image

The downloaded file name is SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO
[/list]
:step2: Burn the downloaded .ISO image to a CD using the appropriate burning software.
  • If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
      Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
  • Click Posted Image

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

:step3: Boot from the CD.
  • (You may need to access the BIOS Setup Menu or the Boot Menu and change the boot order to enable booting from CD before hard drive.)
  • From Basic tests on the Main Menu, run the Short test and then the Long test.

(The long test will take some considerable time to complete.)
    The results will be shown as either a PASS or FAIL.
    There is a chance that during the Long test, you may be offered the opportunity to attempt repairs on the hard drive:
  • If so, go ahead and attempt to do so, but ONLY after backing up all important personal files.
[/list]Note: You may wish to view the following ...
Please let us know the results of the tests.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#5 depogirl

depogirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:01 PM

hi again
I cannot boot up from a USB flash the prompt just blinks when I try to boot after selecting f12 and then try to get it to boot to a flash
drive - any other suggestions on how I can do this? when I burned to a DVD and selected to start up using the DVD drive it asks if I want to start windows or i can go into safe mode safe with networking, etc. its not booting the CD (Set to #4 uin the BIOS boot sequence) it asks if I want to use MS windows recovery console, xp pro or do not select this (debugger enabled) I can chose F8 to go back but its only allowing me to use safe, safe w/network, safe w/command, enable boot loging, enable vga, last known good configureation, directorey services restore, debuggind, disable auto restart, start windows normally, re boot or return HELp

Edited by depogirl, 04 December 2011 - 06:27 PM.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:14 PM

Did you burn the .ISO image to CD in the correct manner?

Did you install onto the flashdrive in the correct manner?

Are they in fact bootable?
  • Please test booting to both the CD and flashdrive in your working computer. Success?

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#7 depogirl

depogirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:23 PM

Tried and it Did NOT work I will try to burn another CD/DVD its just that the first time on the flash drive it took over an hour = i will try again though I must be doing something wrong here I dont burn every day and its likely that I just did something wrong so will now just try with CD burner

Edited by depogirl, 04 December 2011 - 07:48 PM.

#8 depogirl

depogirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:34 PM

hi I burned another CD and it appears to be working I will let you know if I can get the files off stay tuned - PHEW!!

Edited by depogirl, 04 December 2011 - 08:47 PM.

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:44 PM

I think that you are taking a shortcut ... and not burning the .ISO image in the correct manner.

Please follow the instructions that I posted for you: Download and use ImgBurn as instructed to make the bootable CD.

We'll have a look at this "error that I received before I contacted dell) \Windows\systesm32\config\system" later as it may be possible to recover from that error: It depends on whether there is in fact a problem with the hard drive or not.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#10 depogirl

depogirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:27 PM

moving files as we speak I am being booted out of the office so will need to continue in the AM - talk soon!

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:01 AM

moving files as we speak

Very good!

When you have all your important files/data safely backed up to another place, then test the hard drive as instructed in post #4.

When you can, include the make and model number of the problematic hard drive. If you do choose to use SeaTools, you will see the model number (and maybe the make) when SeaTools first detects the hard drive.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#12 depogirl

depogirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:06 PM

hi there
moving all files seems to be ok at the momnet its just taking time to move all off and to make sure I am getting all of it. also dell sent the wrong install CD for windows (they sent me home edition and I use XP pro) so I cannot move off the HDD until I get the proper copy. I Will check the HD to see if its at all useable but at this point it appears that it is not - based on the errors and so on
Hi I have all the files moved off - I will not be able to reinstall the HDD or the windows Cd until the new windows CD arrives is there any danger in shutting off the machine and taking out the CD with puppy linux until it arrives?
Running the SeaTools for DOS now and have been told there are errors on the short test so running long test now
Long test also failed I am re running just in case it appears the drive is short -
Model ID is WDC WD800BEVS-75RST0 -does that help?
No so called error codes just POH 8361 and cant find a key to that

Please advise as to the next steps

Edited by depogirl, 05 December 2011 - 07:37 PM.

#13 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:11 PM

Sorry for the delay: I was wondering how you were going, and just checked your topic. Please use the Add Reply button to post a new message instead of editing the existing one: That way I am notified that you have replied. Otherwise I am not notified and will likely miss the fact that you have replied (edited your post).

Check your system HDD with the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic utility ...

:step1: Go to the WD Downloads WD Scorpio Blue Downloads page and download Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD)
  • Unzip (right-click > Extract all) the file when you have downloaded it, to get to the .ISO image file.
    (Read the instructions while you are there.)

:step2: If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
    Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
  • Click Posted Image

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

:step3: Boot from the CD.
  • (You may need to change the boot order to enable booting from CD before hard drive.)
  • Run the Short/Quick test and then the Long/Extended test].
    There is a chance that during the Long test, you may be offered the opportunity to attempt repairs on the hard drive: If so, go ahead and attempt to do so.
  • Please let us know the results of the tests.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#14 depogirl

depogirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:16 PM

hi there apologies on that I will try to run this utility a bit later today thanks for the help - still waiting on the windows XP CD from dell so I can reinstall

#15 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:29 PM

No worries!

If the WD utility cannot repair the hard drive problem (bad sector/s) ..... we can run a little tool (badblocks) from the Puppy LiveCD to give us a good idea of where the problem is and how bad it is. We then also have the option of using Puppy to clone the failing hard drive to the new hard drive, if we think it warranted to try. That way your existing Windows system could continue to be used (now on the new hard drive) without the hassle of re-installing all your programs, updates etc. These are possibilities only for your consideration: They are not recommendations.

It may well turn out that the best option for you is a clean install using the new Windows XP installation CD(s) from DELL, on the new hard drive.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users