Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow computer, no virus, reformatted

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 colzdad

colzdad

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:02 PM

Hello, I have a Dell latitude D810(laptop) with Windows XP Pro, Service pk3, with an intel pentium processor 2.13GHz

So this thing has been running really slow lately. It seems as if when I reboot it's fine for a little while (maybe 15 minutes) then gets slow. When I type anything into the search bar, it takes a few seconds for what I typed to show up. Internet connection is really slow, videos drag, even when I try to play a movie on it, the movie drags. I've ran every virus and malware program I can think of (malware bytes, Avast, sbs&d, Superanti spyware, Panda scan, CCleaner etc.) and no virus can be found. Yesterday I broke down and reformmated thinking it may be an OS problem, but still the same results. Now, when I finally get on the internet, when I scroll down, there's like a wave that goes over the monitor when it scrolls. I thought maybe it was my router or modem, but my wife's laptop runs fine as does the Wii Wifi.

Is this thing slowly dying and is there anything I may be able to do short of chucking it and buying a new one, which really isn't an option until after Christmas.

One thing I want to add. I was having trouble with the battery charging. I thought I had a bad battery so I bought a new one
, this has been several months ago, but the new battery wouldn't charge either, so if the power cord comes loose, the laptop just shuts down. I don't know if that matters, but I just wanted to add that.

Thanks for any help. I appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YardDog1

YardDog1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:32 PM

Hello, welcome to Bleeping Computer, have you run a hardware diagnostic on the hard drive lately ? Do this first please : 1. Click Start / Run / cmd {OK}
2. Type this command:
chkdsk /? {Enter} (To see all the switches)
chkdsk c: /f{Enter} (To run the command)

You are going to want the chkdsk /r notice the spacing between k and / then press enter , then it will want to do this on a restart, select y for yes, then enter, then restart and it will run a check on the hard drive for you. Post back when this completes for more instructions .

Please use restore points often

#3 colzdad

colzdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:21 PM

Ok, I managed to do that.

#4 YardDog1

YardDog1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:37 PM

Go to your device manager and update the video driver , if that does not help or it says you have latest driver, then go to the computer manufacture site, and download latest video card driver , then uninstall the one you have, and install the new one. Post back results please. If you have any problems, let me know and i will see if i can locate latest drivers for you.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:40 PM

After reformatting and reinstalling the OS, did you install all drivers starting with the chipset driver?

#6 colzdad

colzdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:31 PM

After reformatting and reinstalling the OS, did you install all drivers starting with the chipset driver?

I only installed a network driver.

And I can find a "Legacy Video capture devices" is that the old driver I should delete? If so, it doesn't give me the option to delete.

Thanks a lot for the help.

#7 YardDog1

YardDog1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:41 PM

Are you able to get into Device manager and see if you have any yellow icon or caution icons. right click , update ? What are you seeing in Device manager right now ?

#8 colzdad

colzdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:58 PM

under "Other Devices" there is a "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)" as well as a "Multimedia Audio controller" and a "PCI Modem" and all three have a yellow sign beside them.

Under "Sound,Video and Game Controllers" I have the Legacy Audio Codecs, Audio Drivers,Video Capture devices,Media Control devices, and Video Codecs.

#9 YardDog1

YardDog1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:03 PM

For now, use the right click on each, select update driver and lets see what Microsoft puts on em . Maybe we can just get it working good enough for now. And then later , get manufacture drivers . Post back results if Microsoft will find driver and update please.

#10 colzdad

colzdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:21 PM

OK, so I was able to update the Audio and the PCI modem, but when I try to update the Video Controller, it tells me that "the hardware was not install because the wizard could not find the necessary software."

#11 YardDog1

YardDog1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:38 PM

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19 This has your drivers, grab what you need and download, Then install the bios chipset , and others, notice in the one drop down, under Category , that you can get all of just what you want. Post back if you get lost on this, and then if not lost , post back results please.

#12 colzdad

colzdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:39 AM

Sorry it took me so long. I downloaded all the drivers including the chipset, and while it seems to be a tad better, it's still very slow. It seems like when I reboot, it does better for a little while, then back to being slow. Also, the more items there are on a page, the slower it loads. Video is completely out of the question.

#13 YardDog1

YardDog1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:57 AM

Lets check the hard drive , look at this guide on how to run a hard drive diagnostic : http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html
Post results of the testing after you have done it.

#14 colzdad

colzdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:40 PM

Okay, I burned the disc and ran the test and what I got was "Disposition Code = 0x00"

#15 YardDog1

YardDog1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:02 PM

Hmmm, i made a disk and checked mine, i got a passed, and some data info, All you got was that ? You did make the right disk for your Hard drive ? correct ? Can you verify you made the right disk and confirm that is all you got when you set Bios to boot from cd/dvd and booted the disk ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users